Problem with sonos S1 with Iphone/Ipad

• 29 October 2023
  • 11 replies

My sonos installation was stable with S1 version. My phones/pads obliged me to upgrade to S2, impossible to use S1 anymore. Only the play:1 has been detected after installation… I used a sonos bridge which is no more usable ! It is said on the website that S1 is still useable, but it is not the case for my apple devices. Has anyone got an idea or experienced this problem ?

Thank you for help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Which SONOS units do you have? Here is the S2 compatibility list. Are any SONOS units wired to the network? Which Apple devices are you attempting to use?

Hello Buzz,

thank you for your reply. I used the play:5 gen1 and the bridge that are not compatible with S2 and play:1 (the only which works with S2) + 2x play:3 (theoretically compatible but practically not). However, everything was ok with S1 which is obviously refused by my apple devices (iphone 8, ipad pro are the oldest devices we try to use) but more recent ones have the same problem… probably because of the OS. I just want to keep sonos S1 !

Here are the controller and player compatibility requirements. In any case I recommend that you not power up BRIDGE. Because of its age, hardware BRIDGE failure is increasingly likely.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Why would using S1 not be possible anymore? S1 is still there, working on iOS and Android and older speakers, like your S1 only Play 5 (Gen 1). Could it be possible you misinterpreted the upgrade prompts in the app (that you got because the Play 1’s an d Play 3’s are S2 capable too)?

The S1 page vanished, asking for installation of S2 version. I didn’t remove S1 anyway, but the only message is (translated from french) : use Sonos S2… 2 buttons :

1- lunch application S2

2- more options

of course I tried options : useless !

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Can you reinstall the S1 App and try it again?

No need to uninstall the S2 App, I would close it though.

Hello,

I tried your proposition: I removed and reinstalled S1 ! Same process, same result… once S1 is installed and has detected the devices a page asking for S2 is automatically launched, and S2 only detects our Play:1 device.

I wonder if I’ll keep Sonos system

Just use the Bridge and Play;5 (gen 1) with a reset S1 App - just connect it back to the ‘existing’ Sonos system, that’s assuming you have (hopefully) not factory reset them.

To return your other speakers Play:1/Play:3 to an S1 HH you must first downgrade them to S1 (if that is still your preference) .. the steps to downgrade are as follows:

1. Reboot the local router
  2. Cable the speaker to the LAN router
  3. Delete or reset the S2-app and all data.
  4. Reinstall the S2 app (if necessary)
  5. Factory reset the speaker
  6. Open the S2-app and chose to downgrade
  7. Repeat for next speaker.
  8. Note: there has to be a S1-only product visible on the network too.

Here are links to both the factory-reset and downgrade instructions:

Thank you, I already tried to do that. But it is said that downgrade to S1 has to be made with S2, but the S2 version doesn’t see any device except the Play:1. And the main problem is : I can’t use sonos S1 since it automatically forces me to use S2: it’s a circle !

Thank you, I already tried to do that. But it is said that downgrade to S1 has to be made with S2, but the S2 version doesn’t see any device except the Play:1. And the main problem is : I can’t use sonos S1 since it automatically forces me to use S2: it’s a circle !

It should not ‘initially’ see the device to be downgraded at all - the  S2 App (which is usually reset itself, or maybe freshly installed) is opened and the option is chosen to downgrade an already ‘factory reset’ speaker/device (which needs to be wired to the router aswell), so you won’t see it installed/setup if that’s what you’re referring to? At least not until you start the downgrade process - see the steps mentioned in my earlier post and the support links at the foot of the post aswell.

Ok, I’ll try that way, I’ve probably misinterpreted the instructions. Thank you fir your help.

I’ve to leave the chat for few days, I’ll be back as soon as possible.