Answered

Contradictory / crazy unsupported bitrate problem

• 28 December 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I have discovered the craziest thing—I have lossless apple compressed songs in my local music library that I know are supported bit depth and sample rate—but when I try to play them by using “Music Library” as the source, it says “unsupported”. However, when I use Plex as the music source and play the same exact song, it plays it just fine.

Does anyone here hasve any explanation or fix for this?! I REALLY do not want to re-encode these into lower quality files, and my major playlists are all in my itunes/apple library (which is how many of the songs are accessed)

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 28 December 2023, 23:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Good to know, and way to go, plex, I guess

Yes, love the Plex service on Sonos, it’s also great for playing a local NAS music library on devices like the Roam, Move 2 and a mobile phone (with Headphones) when travelling/away from Home too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Good to know, and way to go, plex, I guess

I suspect the Plex server/service is perhaps transcoding the audio ‘on the fly’ to a format that Sonos can support. iBroadcast certainly does a similar thing with their cloud service and will even transcode a users uploaded lossless audio files to 128bit ‘lossy’ audio for users who opt to use their ‘free’ service.

I believe Plex will downres on the fly to a bitrate supported by the player.