Answered

When will Sonos update the app with a 3 band EQ? Bass-Mid-Treble?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Sonos app update. 3 band EQ BASS-MID-TREBLE greater user control. It’s the weakness in the app.

icon

Best answer by Sotiris C. 24 January 2023, 15:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

43 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos has a long history of concentrating on stuff that sells more Sonos.

If you want a tweaker’s dream audio system there are many out there, just not from Sonos.

I went the opposite direction from you, my fancy audio system was given to a friend and I put in Sonos so I could just enjoy my music, not twiddling bits. Never going back.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Oh well. You maybe right. Meanwhile I’ll keep hoping, and continue to ask. Or, sometime in the near future start buying components for a  system with greater control and flexibility. Sounds like Sonos is in the, if it’s not broke don’t fix it mode right now. And I don’t understand why they’re concentrating only on new speaker production only. Better speakers would seem to call for greater or enhanced E Q possibilities. Sonos just opened me up to the possibility of a great sounding surround system. Now I want to complete my quest for a great sound system experience.

You are asking "how long" about something which hasn't even been commented on by Sonos.  Optimism is great, but I wouldn't expect anything from Sonos on this issue, regardless of the time frame.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yes Sir, I’ve tried that. I still find that lacking the midrange I would like. I  think a midrange control slider would be a great addition to the bass and treble sliders. Seems like a simple solution for customers with midrange hearing issues, as well as an improved listening experience for all. I don’t think I’m the only one who would appreciate this upgrade. Sonos has some really great sound engineers! How long will it take before it will be available for Sonos customers?

Userlevel 2
Badge

One additional thought, because Sonos has provided bass and treble sliders, when will Sonos be adding a midrange slider to the Sonos app?

Have you considered perhaps turning up the volume and applying some bass and treble cut? 

Userlevel 2
Badge

And, some like a little more midrange punch. Sonos has a bass slider and a treble slider. Why not a midrange slider? That makes it simple. The everyone solution!

Then why does sonos offer the option to adjust bass and treble after Trueplay?

To suit personal taste. No two humans have an identical sense of hearing. Trueplay deals with evening out a lumpy response (resonances, peaks, nulls, etc). Many feel that such correction leaves the sound a bit lean, hence they like to add back a bit of bass. Similarly some wish to add a bit of ‘air’ in the higher frequencies, for example to counter age-related hearing loss.

Userlevel 2
Badge

CG3 Brilliant!

Userlevel 2
Badge

I think for a majority of Sonos users, a parametric EQ is a definite challenge. That seems as though a sound engineer would be qualified. It’s not likely most folks would. Maybe, not worth the time and trouble for a system that was supposed to be simple to set up.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Then why does sonos offer the option to adjust bass and treble after Trueplay?

Ok, 16 band parametric EQ. I ad no idea. My apologies! How do access it, and how does it work? How do I make a simple midrange adjustments? Or maybe I’m asking the wrong question. So, maybe, what does it look like on my app? Thanks!

https://support.sonos.com/article/tune-your-sonos-speakers-with-trueplay

Userlevel 2
Badge

Ok, 16 band parametric EQ. I ad no idea. My apologies! How do access it, and how does it work? How do I make a simple midrange adjustments? Or maybe I’m asking the wrong question. So, maybe, what does it look like on my app? Thanks!

Oh no, not a "or the bunny gets it" post.  Whatever will Sonos do?

A multi-channel PEQ is definitely a challenge, unless one has a measured response, a target curve (such as Harman) and a recommended set of corrections to use as a starting point. 

I think they prefer the additional complexity of exposing that to the user, so that poor choices can be made, and confuse a large portion of the market. Nice to have for the 10%, confusing and potentially harmful for the rest. 

You do appreciate that with Trueplay Sonos in fact employs a 16-band parametric EQ?

https://tech-blog.sonos.com/posts/trueplay-spectral-correction/

Userlevel 2
Badge

With technology increasing exponentially someone is probably coming up with a 3 or 5 band e q right now for a new surround system like Sonos, if they don’t already have it. Maintaining top of the hill status is hard. I’m always looking at new systems, but nothing yet. I’m sure there will be soon. Sonos sound quality is good, but more e q sound options will make it great. Waiting for now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Or Sonos customer research shows not many people want this, especially since the introduction of Trueplay, or it is technologically less viable to do for Sonos…….

Userlevel 2
Badge

Why am I not surprised. Apparently Sonos has a blind spot! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Was not mentioned in the recent on-line discussion with one of the sound engineer guys

It’s been a request essentially since Sonos was released in 2005. So far, no updates. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Updates on E Q Upgrades?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thank you, yes! 3 band would be a good start 5 band would be better. At least make it optional. Come on Sonos, you obviously have some good engineers, there must be a way!!!

Bingo! Add me to this request tally. 

• Mid Range EQ control or control over Speech Enhancement at least (current SE is currently too harsh)
  • Different saved EQ etc. settings for Music and TV content. Completely different needs.