The New Sonos App and Future Feature Updates

Show first post

1602 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

<snipped>

”Do check out the Sonos guidance at https://en.community.sonos.com/owners-cafe-228997/player-controller-versions-why-update-6894905 to see their self imposed limitations on what you can and can't do with older speaker firmware and controller versions.
If you have already completed Sonos device firmware updates beyond 78.1-52020, I think you'll be out of luck trying to use the S2 version 16.1 app in any event.”

Thank you for the explanation how that works  I rolled back with that.

Regarding the newer firmware vs older 16.1 app:

my 84-year-old relative’s Play 5’s firmware got recently updated to the latest. They have the 16.1 Sonos app and it worked fine. Then the Play 5 lost power and their iPad also had Bluetooth and location services disabled. I was pleasantly surprised that the older app found the device again without any issues. I was fearing the “you must update” prompt but the 16.1 app didn’t display that. So they got their Play 5 back up and running and can happily use the 16.1 app that works well. 

So at least to some extent the older app and newer firmware can work fine. Obviously if the device needed to be added again then they likely would need to update the app. 

I hope Sonos fixes all the issues and re-introduces the removed features by the time my relative accidentally updates to the newer iPad app.

I fear they have a learning curve with the new app because the new app seems to rely much more on swiping up and down. The tab UI approach is much better for my relative as iPad (and their iPhone) no longer recognize their finger swiping that well.

Maybe the 1 % that Patrick referred to are older people and those who prefer to use taps instead of remembering where and how to swipe.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@kpr - thanks for that info, very useful. My work iPhone that’s managed by Intune has the very latest 80.x version of the controller which will no longer connect to my Sonos gear without a “you must update the firmware to continue” type message. 
Good to know that the current firmware still works with S2 version 16.1 although I will not be updating my speakers for the foreseeable future. 

Userlevel 1

This update is useless. Literally. I cant connect to either of my Sonos products. Everything is up to date (which I highly regret) & it’s stuck on an old playlist which is all I can play because I can’t switch any music either from my iPhone or iPad. Yes I have updated with the latest, from today which supposed to be a “bug fix” but it didn’t do anything helpful for me. 

Userlevel 2

“We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app.”

Well, you really missed the boat on that one. Thanks for destroying a brand I’ve been using for a decade. No lessons learned from the CEO’s time at BlackBerry evidently. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I’d love to request fixing the connection for Plex users, have an Apple Watch controller and make the new app faster. Gestures are so slow. For example swiping down to move the current tab is like I'm on a really old iPhone and not a 14 Pro.

Apple Watch - there’s a 3rd party App called ‘Lyd’ have you tried that?

used to work very well, not sure after the App update.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I initially came to this Sonos community website hoping to find how to restore my iTunes songs to my Sonos system. After several weeks of reading the hopeful suggestions, comments and criticism it appears that the Sonos company’s product development has created a mess that will take time and money to correct IF company management thinks the effort is important. Whether or not Sonos makes the repairs needed will depend on if executive management thinks the effort makes profit and loss sense. 

My strong suggestion music fans with disrupted a Sonos system is to write the chairman of the board with your thoughts. His name and address are below.

Mr. Julius Genachowski

Chairman Board of Directors

Sonos Corporation Inc.

614 Chapala Street

Santa Barbara, CA 93101   

I initially came to this Sonos community website hoping to find how to restore my iTunes songs to my Sonos system. After several weeks of reading the hopeful suggestions, comments and criticism it appears that the Sonos company’s product development has created a mess that will take time and money to correct IF company management thinks the effort is important. Whether or not Sonos makes the repairs needed will depend on if executive management thinks the effort makes profit and loss sense. 

My strong suggestion music fans with disrupted a Sonos system is to write the chairman of the board with your thoughts. His name and address are below.

Mr. Julius Genachowski

Sonos Corporation Inc.

614 Chapala Street

Santa Barbara, CA 93101   

That would require writing an actual letter, putting a stamp on it, and mailing it away.  Why do that when you can post endlessly useless tirades and idle threats on here? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

The Sonos company website boasts that on April 23, 2024 Sonos introduced a new application that “completely reimagined” an user’s experience.

I agree with this PR statement. I never imagined that a software release could create so many unhappy customers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Mr. Julius Genachowski

Sonos Corporation Inc.

614 Chapala Street

Santa Barbara, CA 93101   

My guess is that he already knows about this and does not care. Not worth wasting the stamp.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Mr. Julius Genachowski

Sonos Corporation Inc.

614 Chapala Street

Santa Barbara, CA 93101   

That would require writing an actual letter, putting a stamp on it, and mailing it away.  Why do that when you can post endlessly useless tirades and idle threats on here? 

Oh @jgatie, still the bully in the room after all these years.  If you don’t like the complaints/remarks in most of the forums, just take a break and stop reading them.  

That’s funny, I have taken a break for a while but we all need to help each other and that is why I am back. I did work yesterday with a nice Sonos Tech. He helped me on a lot of small issues and got me to understand about the SMB2 protocol and after I got off the phone with him, I was able to move my music library from an older NAS drive onto a Western Digital My Cloud which does support the SMB2 protocol and managed to get most of my music back. Even most of my playlists which I think are stored in memory on most or some of the Sonos devices. The Windows version of the app is called S2 version 16.2 and it is okay, but very slow. The iOS version is very difficult to use and needs some work. I can’t figure out how to tell what version I currently have installed. I just tried chatting with them but got disconnected. There is no menu that I can find in the IOS app. I’ll call Sonos tomorrow. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

The Sonos company website boasts that on April 23, 2024 Sonos introduced a new application that “completely reimagined” an user’s experience.

I agree with this PR statement. I never imagined that a software release could create so many unhappy customers. 

I'm listening to a playlist that I cannot see or amend. It took a few goes to get it to play. I cannot add amend or reorder it is I can't see it. The volume on speakers that I can hear are on zero according to the app. Its pure rubbish!

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Mr. Julius Genachowski

Sonos Corporation Inc.

614 Chapala Street

Santa Barbara, CA 93101   

Oh @jgatie, still the bully in the room after all these years.  If you don’t like the complaints/remarks in most of the forums, just take a break and stop reading them.  

That’s funny, I have taken a break for a while but we all need to help each other and that is why I am back. I did work yesterday with a nice Sonos Tech. He helped me on a lot of small issues and got me to understand about the SMB2 protocol and after I got off the phone with him, I was able to move my music library from an older NAS drive onto a Western Digital My Cloud which does support the SMB2 protocol and managed to get most of my music back. Even most of my playlists which I think are stored in memory on most or some of the Sonos devices. The Windows version of the app is called S2 version 16.2 and it is okay, but very slow populating the songs in my playlists. The iOS version is very difficult to use and needs some work. I can’t figure out how to tell what version I currently have installed. I just tried chatting with them but got disconnected. There is no menu that I can find in the IOS app. I’ll call Sonos tomorrow. 

Mr. Julius Genachowski

Sonos Corporation Inc.

614 Chapala Street

Santa Barbara, CA 93101   

That’s funny, I have taken a break for a while but we all need to help each other and that is why I am back. I did work yesterday with a nice Sonos Tech. He helped me on a lot of small issues and got me to understand about the SMB2 protocol and after I got off the phone with him, I was able to move my music library from an older NAS drive onto a Western Digital My Cloud which does support the SMB2 protocol and managed to get most of my music back. Even most of my playlists which I think are stored in memory on most or some of the Sonos devices. The Windows version of the app is called S2 version 16.2 and it is okay, but very slow. The iOS version is very difficult to use and needs some work. I can’t figure out how to tell what version I currently have installed. I just tried chatting with them but got disconnected. There is no menu that I can find in the IOS app. I’ll call Sonos tomorrow. 

Userlevel 1

I’m on S1 with my (fully functioning 😇) system and bought two era 100’s today.

But when I wanted to add them to my system I’m forced to update the firmware and to use the new app.

That was all before i did some research about the new app and I’m glad I did so.

I guess I better return those era 100’s because I won’t risk ruining my system. 👎

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

But when I wanted to add them to my system I’m forced to update the firmware and to use the new app.

That was all before i did some research about the new app and I’m glad I did so.

I guess I better return those era 100’s because I won’t risk ruining my system. 👎

Yes, I definitely would not buy anything new to add to your existing system until everything is stable and fixed. And if Sonos Management would realize this by connecting the dots they would put more pressure on their coders to get everything working. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Yes, I definitely would not buy anything new to add to your existing system until everything is stable and fixed. And if Sonos Management would realize this by connecting the dots they would put more pressure on their coders to get everything working. 

Yep. The system is broken. I'm listening to my playlist but can't see what is in the queue or interact with it. Volume is set to zero according to the app but its not as I can hear the songs. What a disaster.

Userlevel 2
Badge

True play refuses to go past “begin tuning”, locks app. I have paybase, sub2, one sl and one 1st gen as surround. No sounds. Just stops here. I’m on the latest version of sonos app on iPad.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

True play refuses to go past “begin tuning”, locks app. I have paybase, sub2, one sl and one 1st gen as surround. No sounds. Just stops here. I’m on the latest version of sonos app on iPad.

Trueplay is a known issue. It will be fixed, maybe in the next couple of updates over the coming week or two.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I bought SONOS specifically to play my own music library, not for streaming services. If they are no longer supporting the capability to have your own music library, then SONOS needs to buy back my equipment so I can invest in a system that does. 

I bought SONOS specifically to play my own music library, not for streaming services. If they are no longer supporting the capability to have your own music library, then SONOS needs to buy back my equipment so I can invest in a system that does. 

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

Coming soon

• Continued improvements to navigation for visually-impaired customers: mid-June
  • Adding to queue and playing next: early June
  • Sleep timer: mid-June
  • Local music library search and playback: mid-June
  • Update WiFi settings: mid-June
  • Snooze alarms: TBD
Userlevel 1

How many millions or billions of dollars of Sonos Products aren’t working because of this Sonos Debacle?

How may of us devoted Sonos users upgraded to the new May 6 toted for months to be a Super App only to spend hours trying to figure out what we did wrong - then discovering that it the Sonos Upgraded APP created the issues and we can’t go back to the old APP

Then Sonos blames APPLE MUSIC and after hours of consulting with APPLE discover it is not an Apple Issue.

Waited on phone for support for almost an hour.  Tech says update coming in a month - which likely means the end of summer.

Told tech being without music for a month is like being without my cell phone.

SONOS NYSE SHOULD SEE A DIVE IN THEIR STOCK SOON!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Azure2303

What issues are you having specifically? Why are you without music? You don’t explain.

Edit: just seen you can’t access Apple Music playlists. What happens when you tap on Your Services / Apple Music. What isn’t showing up for you?

Userlevel 1

All my Music is gone - Apple, Amazon, Spotify - Play Lists - Favorites

And Sonos App won’t function for me to rebuild.  

Sonos Favorites Screen - UNABLE TO LOAD CONTENT

Sonos Play Lists - UNABLE TO LOAD CONTENT

Purchased a Move 2 to add to my system and received on Saturday and App even register to activiate.  I’m returning it today!  

The only music I can play is an Apple Play List that was in the Queue Playing when everything else in the App crashed.

I would love to return all my SONOs equipment for a full refund and replace with a system that works.

And after waiting almost an hour for a Tech this morning I got disconnected and no recall from the Tech that had all my infomation.

I feel sorry for the Tech’s answering the calls - it has to be a nightmare.

Userlevel 1

Go to Services and try to upload anything to your Music and you will get a “Something Went Wrong”

Just like to try to install a new speaker:

Follow the Add Device do the “process” and find that “THE PRODUCT ISN’T REGISTERED” 

Next Step “FIX IT” 

And you continue the cycle - the new speaker is useless at this point in time.

As is the rest of my Sonos System

Userlevel 3
Badge

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

Coming soon

• Continued improvements to navigation for visually-impaired customers: mid-June
  • Adding to queue and playing next: early June
  • Sleep timer: mid-June
  • Local music library search and playback: mid-June
  • Update WiFi settings: mid-June
  • Snooze alarms: TBD

I just cannot understand why they took away a key feature, which I would presume is used by the vast majority of their customers, to launch a flawed update, then try to say it’s a pending feature. They needed to get it right before launching a massive overhaul of the system. 

I just cannot understand why they took away a key feature, which I would presume is used by the vast majority of their customers, to launch a flawed update, then try to say it’s a pending feature. They needed to get it right before launching a massive overhaul of the system. 

They actually didn’t “take away” anything.  Since the new app was done from scratch, the things that are missing weren’t taken away, they just weren’t finished yet.  Does it matter?  Only for context, but sometimes context matters.