Answered

Some station icons in My Sonos are blank

• 23 January 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 25 replies

Some icons for the radio stations in "My Sonos" are blank.

When I play a station with a blabk icon, the correct icon appears in the darkened bar at the bottom of the screen. So I presume the icon is available.

Refreshing the app’s cache doesn’t help. How can I get the missing icons?

(Background info: Android app, version 14.20.1, Dec 2022)

icon

Best answer by Corry P 24 January 2023, 13:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Sarno 

Thanks for your post!

If resetting the app doesn’t help (Settings » App Preferences » Reset App » Reset, close and reopen the app and choose Connect to Existing System), the issue is likely due to a speaker not doing all it should, or the network somehow getting in it’s way.

Please turn off your router and Sonos speakers. Once the router has been off for at least 30 seconds, turn it on and wait for WiFi to return before proceeding. If you have any Sonos products wired to ethernet, please turn these on first and wait for solid white lights before turning on the rest of your speakers. 

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

@Corry P  Does this resetting lose any of my settings? Such as the existing station list, my music provider signons, my  custom settings for each speaker, etc?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Sarno 

No - all settings are retained by the speakers. All the app remembers is which systems it has spoken to before, and the login details for your Sonos account (which you will need).

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

@Corry P  Resetting the app seems to have done corrected it. Thank you.

Is there any value in turning off the speakers and router as you described, purely as good housekeeping to clear away any other glitches?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Sarno 

Excellent! Thanks for updating the thread.

I recommend rebooting your router several times a year as a matter of course - especially if you got it for free from your Internet Service Provider. Rebooting it at a time you decide means you will be less likely to experience any issues when you really don’t want them to happen - during a party, for example. If you bought your router, you can probably get away with leaving it longer (I confess I often leave mine for many months), but it’s absolutely a valid troubleshooting step that often results in a resolution to many issues.

As for the speakers, it seems they were behaving. It doesn’t hurt to reboot them occasionally, but I’d only bother if and when you experience issues. Note that many people who experience missing rooms after an update often do so because the speakers all reboot and fall victim to router configuration issues, so it doesn’t always go well - though with a healthy network there should be no issue with doing so. Reserving IP addresses in your router's settings for all your static devices can often help with this.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi @Sarno 

As for the speakers, it seems they were behaving. It doesn’t hurt to reboot them occasionally, but I’d only bother if and when you experience issues.

@Corry P  I am interested that you mentioned that the Sonos speakers retaining some information. I was asking about rebooting the speakers as a form of maintenance.

Would it be best to power off ALL the speakers at the same time as part of the maintenance?  (This can be awkward for me as some are hard wired to the mains!)

I figure if there was corruption in the data held by the spekers then one leaving one speaker switched on might retain whatever errors exist. Have I understood this correctly?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Sarno 

@Corry P  I am interested that you mentioned that the Sonos speakers retaining some information. I was asking about rebooting the speakers as a form of maintenance.

The speakers retain all the information - they are basically computers with speakers attached. All the music services and system configuration options are duplicated and stored by all players on a system. Settings pertaining to an individual room are not duplicated.

Would it be best to power off ALL the speakers at the same time as part of the maintenance? 

Not really - one at a time will do, and only those with issues. If you were to have any ethernet-wired speakers, it may help to reboot it/them as well as the speaker exhibiting issues. Also, a Sonos app will communicate with one particular unit during a session - this is known as an Associated Product, and can be seen in Settings » System » About my System. Issues relating to communications with the app (as in your case - everything so far has been generic) may be resolved by rebooting it. Note that the Associated Product may vary each time you open the app, and it may not vary at all.

In your case, it does seem to have just been the app at fault - note that my initial advice was to start rebooting if resetting the app didn’t help. As it did help, I’m going to assume all will be good with or without reboots.

This can be awkward for me as some are hard wired to the mains!

Uh, what?! I hope they are still fitted with fuses!!

I figure if there was corruption in the data held by the spekers then one leaving one speaker switched on might retain whatever errors exist. Have I understood this correctly?

If the data was corrupted, the issue would likely be much worse than anything you reported, and a reset would probably be of more use than a reboot - though we don’t recommend you reset a Sonos product unless requested to do so by our technical support team (not a friend or a nice, helpful chap in a store) after significant troubleshooting, or if you are selling the unit. Resetting the app is far less impactful.

I hope this helps.

I don’t deliberately reboot my speakers from one year to the next -- unless I replace the router. Note that SONOS firmware updates will trigger a reboot for each unit. This reboot can create issues with the DHCP assignments and is why we strongly recommend reserving IP addresses for all regular network clients. (There is no point in reserving addresses for guests)