Connect - LINE-OUT low volume since update S1 app

• 8 November 2020
  • 68 replies

Show first post

68 replies

Sure sounds like the pre-amp(s) have failed, and the Sonos is only getting a phono level input, rather than a line level input. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am having this exact same problem with my connect. It has actually happened twice now, I just updated today and it got worse. On my amp I have to set volume at 70 to have roughly the same output as I previously got at 60, and prior to a previous update it was 50. 

I am having this exact same problem with my connect. It has actually happened twice now, I just updated today and it got worse. On my amp I have to set volume at 70 to have roughly the same output as I previously got at 60, and prior to a previous update it was 50. 

What’s the ‘source level’ set to in the Connect’s room settings?

To be clear, I am referring to a non-Sonos amp connected to the line out of my Connect via RCA. I have had the volume drop occur two times now, both times after an update. 

Ah thanks, I (mistakenly) assumed you were referring to playing a line-in source on the Connect. Sorry about that.🙏

Add me with the same problem ZP80 with external amp.  tested all other components and that seems to be the one that has failed so I assume it is the capacitors as per timc995 post.  Bummer. At the moment I have to choose between music in bathroom and garage. 

I count six occurrences in this thread to date and there are others if you google. It might be a common hardware failure, but... Reports indicate that it has affected both ZP80s and 90s. Also, there was the post earlier in this thread that indicated someone had trouble with 2 of 5 connects after an update. 

I also have three other connects that don't have a problem on 11.2.6 (build 57587010)

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Could this be a “volume limit” setting problem?

On all three it has to be something common, not individual faults.

Badge

I am having the same very frustrating issue.  After spending hours on the phone with Sonos support after I installed my Port, they said they’d not heard of this issue before and suggested the product was defective out of the box.  After over 2 months of frustration in getting my warranty replacement, I received the new product yesterday which has the EXACT same issue.  The volume is sufficient and and equal with all the other outputs on my amp if I select “fixed” vs “variable” but if I wanted to manually adjust the volume on my amp every time, I don’t know why I would have purchased the Port in the first place.  The whole point is because it’s automated. It’s not acceptable that Sonos just chimes in with a link to how variable vs fixed works, instead of actually addressing that there is an issue. :triumph:

Badge

Yes, sorry, I realize now I might have posted this on the incorrect thread.  There are similar threads with the same issue r/t the Port. 

Just as a datapoint, I’m not seeing this issue on any of my 3 Connects, using their analog outputs and running S1 v11.2.9 firmware.

Ditto with two Connects. This isn't a software issue.

Sonos support.

Has this been fixed yet? As I tried again yesterday to connect my ZP80 and got low volume out of the analogue output jacks.

Diagnostic number 626753146

Userlevel 1
Badge

They just seem to be ignoring this issue

As a follow-up to my post from a few days ago, I was able to try an optical cable, and that output signal works perfectly as reported by others on this thread. Since that is sufficient in my application, I am giving up trying to understand the RCA low line levels output problem.

I talked to a support tech once who made me go through another factory reset (after sending diagnostics and having some kind of live monitoring) and also had me connect a passive speaker to the line out RCA. It was far too weak to make any sound at all without an amplifier. With an amp I could only hear anything very faintly if the amp was jacked up to full volume. Anyway, I wasn’t getting anywhere, so I gave up and went the optical cable route since the only other option appeared to be getting a replacement device. The person I spoke to also did not seem to know that others have had the same thing happen.

One other note - I also did the test where I used a pair of RCA cables to loop back from the output to the input, then play music on the faulty device, and then use the faulty device’s line in from another working device. Same behavior except now the faint sound was coming from the working device turned right up.

The fact that so many people have had what seems to be the exact same issue leads me to suspect a software bug, so perhaps a future update will eliminate this fault. 

Two questions: this can afflict Connect Amp as well? And will it then show in speaker sound levels when playing streamed music as well as that from line in?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Two questions: this can afflict Connect Amp as well? And will it then show in speaker sound levels when playing streamed music as well as that from line in?

The Connect:amp doesn’t have this kind of failure.  If the connect:amp doesn’t drive speakers, it’s usually related to blown amplifier circuitry.

I don’t understand the second question.  That question seems to be unrelated to the issue this repair addresses.

Is not the Connect Amp essentially a Connect that has its RCA outputs internally wired to the amplification stage on the Connect Amp? And if the defect is in what should then be the same circuit after the digital to analog conversion, it should not matter where the music signal is coming from?

I ask because one of my Connect Amps seems to have had this symptom present in one of the wired passive speakers, that are also two decades old, ten year older than the Connect Amp. I first suspected the speakers, but I think I have been able to rule that out.

Right now, there is no trouble, but if it has happened in the past, and the reason was not addressed, it may reappear; so the question is for then, really.

Fair enough! Thank you.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Just wanted to say that this is not necessarily the silver bullet for this problem. I had the exact same symptoms with my (granted younger - h/w version 1.22.1.5-2.1) Connect. Basically almost zero line-out signal (you can JUST hear a whisper if you amp it to the max) but optical still working fine. So I dismantled and carefully replaced the offending caps and…. no change…. exactly the same symptom :(

Yep.  I have now come across a few like what you describe.  The cap on the right circled here is the magic bullet… Replace that and you should be good to go.  In fact, start with this cap and it should help stabilize the power supply - and the other two caps may not need to be replaced.