Skip to main content
Question

Which used connect to buy

• 24 November 2017
  • 5 replies

Hi people,

I'm new to the community and own a play 1 and 5. They are of the newer type that do not need a bridge and set up was fairly straight forward for a non techie.I was thinking of buying a second hand connect from ebay, but wanted it to be as simple as the 1 and 5 simple to install! Which models should I be looking at that onstall/ connect over wifi? Am i correct in thinking that some of the older ones will need a bridge or ethernet connection?

Thanks in anticipation

Mustardbufc
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

No you are completely wrong! All Sonos components except the old CR physical controllers can connect over wifi.

There are however advantages to having a wired Sonos component. See here:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3046/~/choosing-between-a-standard-and-boost-setup

If the unit is quite old you may need to wire it temporarily for setup, or even conceivably get Sonos Support to help. You must factory reset it before adding to your system.
Thanks John, I'll bear tbe advice in mind and have a look at the info on the link. What was the bridge used for then?
It was the predecessor to the Boost. It triggers SonosNet...but you can read about that!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have two antique ZP-80s that are happy wired or wireless, with or without a Boost. If you can find anything older it will probably be steam powered so don't worry about age.

I'd recommend having at least one Sonos device wired too.
Thanks both, ill see what i can find