Skip to main content

I have been listening to my TV (15 years old) via a connect 120 (legacy) to HiFi speakers for over 10 years with no problems, but now I would like to buy a new TV.  No models now appear to have analog out so I am considering using a DAC between the TV Optical and the connect amp.

I suspect that I will suffer from audio delay which I will not be able to cure and which is not acceptable.

Has anyone else used this setup with success?  I would love to know before lashing out on a new TV.

Regards,

John

There will not be any delay over what already exists when you use the Connect Amp - as I do - and what does not trouble you at this time.

But I solved a similar problem by using the headphone socket on the TV - works well enough that I don't need to get the DAC I thought I would need. Plus, it is volume controlled so the TV remote also controls sound levels via the speakers wired to the Connect Amp.

By the way, I am using a cheap TV just now that does not have analog audio out jacks - are you sure that the usual ones no longer have these?

Hi Kumar,

Thanks for your reply,

I have just tried headphone socket from second TV to a play5 and while the sound is ok there is an unacceptable lipsinc problem.

I had assumed that the new optical technology would be an improvement on headphone out, but I am not highly technical so I don't know.

Are you using a TV with digital out (optical) to a legacy connect amp with HiFi speakers using a DAC box in between?

Regards,

John

I’ve done exactly this, using a $20-30 DAC from Best Buy, and the delay was not enough to bother me. YMMV, of course.

John,

The lipsync issue has been with you for the last ten years! I am therefore surprised to see you say it is intrusive with the 5. Try to switch the 5 into what is being fed to the 120 using the different cable needed and you should see no difference in lip sync.

I am using the headphone out of the TV to the connect amp analog input and have no trouble.

Also, the lipsync issue potential resides in how any Sonos unit works and is not affected by the presence or absence of a DAC upstream.

I also use another tv that has analog audio line out jacks, wired to a Sonos connect. Again, even when carefully watching music videos with strumming guitars and singers, any lipsync issue is too small to be intrusive.

I use a hdmi to analogue adaptor from tv hdmi arc to adaptor

rca phono plugs to your connect amp works just fine and no

sound delay.

One more thing if you use a hdmi arc and buy a LG smart tv you 

can still use your tv remote to adjust sound volume if you use tv

optical out you cant adjust sound with your tv remote.

Thanks Air force teacher,

What is YMMV?

Thanks jtkeep,

I have bought a DAC with optical leads now.

I thought HDMI sockets were inputs only for TV's, perhaps the arc one is different.  In any case I am always shorts of HDMI sockets what with blue ray player, Roku box, BT box.

It should be better with a newer TV.

YMMV is “Your Mileage May Vary”.