Skip to main content

Hi

Two part question for SONOS AMP

Firstly -

I’m looking into upgrading my phono amp from a basic Behringer PP400.

I like the idea of a Tube Amp, no more than 150 pounds cost, but I would like it to have an additional AUX input built into it for my CD Player. I am using a very cheap passive AUX switch atm.

I have been looking at a company called Dynavox but not that many reviews. They seem to do a range of 4 Tube pre-amps

Has anyone any recommendations? 

Secondly -

I’m unsure exactly how my SONOS AMP works. I understand to a certain degree that its a Digital Amplifier. 

I’m presuming the LINE IN input gets converted back to Digital when my using my CD or Turntable?

If this is the case, would a Tube/Valve amp make much difference in sound or quality? ie am I going to get the benefits of that “Warm” sound that is often referred to with tube amps?

Thanks 

Paul

Anyone? 
I’d be happy with an answer to either question 😁

The warm sound you refer to is a mild amount of distortion - more than mild and it would earn a label different than warm - and the Sonos amp will pass it on to the speakers, duly amplified, after a analog to digital to analogue conversion process. As will any other amp supplied with line level analog inputs, minus this conversion process.

For the price you are paying, look for at least visible and glowing tubes that will help add to the warmth via how they look. Only you can decide if all of the above is worth the extra price and electricity consumption.

The warm sound you refer to is a mild amount of distortion - more than mild and it would earn a label different than warm - and the Sonos amp will pass it on to the speakers, duly amplified, after a analog to digital to analogue conversion process. As will any other amp supplied with line level analog inputs, minus this conversion process.

For the price you are paying, look for at least visible and glowing tubes that will help add to the warmth via how they look. Only you can decide if all of the above is worth the extra price and electricity consumption.

Thanks hombre, appreciated