Skip to main content

Teac TN-350 Turntable attached to Sonos Connect

• 7 January 2018
  • 2 replies

I recently received a TEAC TN-350 turntable for Christmas. I attached the device to my SONOS Connect {Zone1} input. It works well from my directly connect speakers on Zone 1. However the other areas Zone 2 (two grouped Play 1), Zone 3 (single play3) , Zone 4 (Playbar) and Zone 5 ( Play) tend to drop out similar to a loss signal or just weak. I also notice that volume is not consistent. conversely the quality is so better when streaming over Sirius or Groove Music. Does anyone have any ideas why the difference in quality? The Teac Turntable output is through RCA going into Connect input.
For the dropouts, make sure your Line In compression is set to Compressed. This will minimise the bandwidth required between zones.

Not sure about the issues with volume consistency. Do you have the Connect set to fixed volume?

I have a TEAC TN-300 hooked up to a PLAY:5, and I don't have any volume variation issues. Note that the output from the built in pre-amp on the TEAC is weak, so I have the Line In Source Level set to 10.

With apologies to the vinyl purists, a high quality stream (250kbps or upwards) provides comprehensively better audio quality than a turntable, Enjoy your vinyl for other reasons.
pwt - Thanks for your reply. I will try as you suggested. I played around with the Line-In volume control and will review the compression setting as you suggest. I am new to vinyl but I can here some distinctive quality from the vinyl versus standard digital streaming. I like it all thought especially now that I added the SONOS in line with my wired speaker system. I will be adding 10 new speakers in the upcoming 2 months to have a whole house sound experience.