Skip to main content
Longtime user wondering if its time to sell my components before they're worthless
Entirely a personal choice. I'd be happy to give you 50 cents for each speaker that works. I'm pretty sure that Sonos will last a long time. I've seen no indication that would counter that opinion, either.
early adopter and vocal supporter who just spent hours updating and re-updating for simple change to new wireless network, wondering if this is end of a company that used to be the apple of music. terrible updates that make things worse not better, decline of user experience and loss of what used to be phenomenal customer support. with exit of CEO is this company doomed? Alexa speaker a total bust, every update worsens the experience. Hope their will be a jailbreak and third party app to rescue my system.
Give a listen to this podcast (the parts where they let Spence get a word in edgewise, lol). Hopefully you'll have a better understanding of Sonos market strengths afterward.

https://www.recode.net/2018/2/2/16961978/sonos-patrick-spence-apple-homepod-alexa-virtual-assistants-too-embarrassed-swisher-goode-podcast
Yea, they're not very good interviewers, are they? Took him about 5 minutes to get one of those sentences out, they were so entranced with themselves.

There's a lot of folks here, like chicks and me, who would be happy to help you if you're having issues. My system has been rock solid for the last 5 years or so, through all sorts of updates, replaced routers, etc. Sure, there's some concerns I have about Sonos, they're not perfect, but the system works pretty well, if it has a solid backbone off of which it will work.
Even if you change, there is a high possibility of frying pan into the fire. Decide your moves only if a significant part of the system goes bust mandating a change. Till then, reserve IP addresses in your router and enjoy the music. Alexa/Voice control for just music is overrated at this time, so even if it is a bust, you are not losing out on much.
Kumar makes a good point that making any dramatic move could put you in a worse place than you are now so you better have a good idea of what you are going move to next before you jump ship. Maybe you should first list out all the things that are important to you in a music system and then see if any better options exist right now.

For me the list is pretty simple:

-I want all of my music in one place where I can collect it from any source and manage it as I see fit with no risk of a favorite track becoming unavailable because of shifting license agreements, service mergers/buyouts, or whatever. I have no particular preference as to whether that location is local or in the cloud.

-I want my music system to play music from my music collection and distribute it to several rooms around my house in perfect sync. If it can also supplement that with radio or streaming services that is a nice bonus but not a requirement.

-I want my music system to have a good API for integration with home automation systems so I can do things like automatically mute rooms when a phone is in use there, turn off rooms that are empty, distribute doorbell sounds and alert messages, etc.

-I want my music system to have a control system that is intuitive with no significant learning curve. The controls should be comfortable for people of all ages (No asking granny to master complex touch screen gestures with her shaky hands or dig through complex menus with her failing eyesight) The controls should be always close at hand in each room and be instantly available for quick volume changes or on/off/mute commands.

-I want the system to be reliable, resilient, and trouble free. I want to spend my time managing and enjoying my music collection, not troubleshooting problems or acting as tech support for the rest of the family because things aren't working right for them.

It is easy for me to look at Sonos and decide how it is doing against this list at any given point in time and decide how any changes affect the above goals (How is granny going to use the system without a CR100? What if voice control of local libraries never happens? How can I get all of my music into one place that is voice control accessible? What if UPnP goes away and the new API can't fully replace it for all of my home automation tasks?) and so on. I can also look at other systems to see if any of them can do better without getting sidetracked comparing irrelevant features. For example: I don't care who is best at Apple integration or Bluetooth or Music Services because I don't use any of that.

Your list will likely have different priorities but it is worth taking a few minutes to make one so you have something other than your current frustration to guide your decision.
I'm prone to say that changing to a new wireless is no longer simple. I have at least 10 Ethernet connected devices and over 20 wireless devices, plus all manner or smart hubs. Frankly I'm amazed i don't have more issues!

The last update to 8.3 worked faultlessly but i have had a few in the past not work as smoothly. This has meant a controlled re-boot of my entire network, which adds to my days step count as i have hubs and powerline sockets in garage and garden rooms. However once running correctly it stays that way.

I'm sure that once your new network has settled you'll regain the lurve 😃