Skip to main content

Hi,

I am new to the Sonos ecosystem and had a question regarding multiple zones typically found in an AV Receiver. 

If the AV Receiver has say 2 zones setup as follows:

zone 1 - home theater

zone 2 - patio

Would I need 2 separate Sonos Ports to setup independent zones plugged in to AV Receiver?

If so, are what particular features would I need to look for when AV Receiver shopping?

Thank you 

What’s the purpose of the A/V receiver in this setup? Can you not achieve the same thing with two Sonos Amps? 

What’s the purpose of the A/V receiver in this setup? Can you not achieve the same thing with two Sonos Amps? 

AV Receiver will serve as a 5.1 in the living room for in ceiling & wall speakers. 

OK, so you’re not going with a Sonos solution for the home theater. 

In order to serve two zones with different data, you would need two Ports, or two Sonos Amps. Each Port/Amp is one ‘stream’ or source. The A/V receiver will need two separate inputs, one for each Port. Most people use a Tape Loop for this. 

If it were me, I’d use the A/V receiver to drive the 5.1 set of speakers, with a single Port to supply the Sonos signal to those speakers through the receiver. I’d then use a separate Sonos Amp to drive the external patio speakers. You could then group the two Sonos devices together to get music in sync.