Skip to main content

I am trying to set the correct line-in level of my Sonos Fives when listening to vinyl.

I have a Pro-Ject X1 turntable. My previous cartridge, a Pick It S2 MM, had a relatively high output voltage of 7 mV and I had set my RIAA (a Pro-Ject Tube Box S2) to the lowest possible gain of 40 dB, and then set the input level of the Five’s line-in to 1 or 2. Higher than that and I started hearing distortion.

My new cartridge is a Sumiko Moonstone and it has a much lower output voltage of 3 mV, so I need to up the gain a bit. But it would be nice to know the sensitivity voltage of the Five’s amp so I can calculate the appropriate gain of my RIAA as well as selecting the optimal input level of the line-in. Does anyone here have that kind of technical insight?

Not the specifics, but the line in on all Sonos devices requires ‘standard’ line level input.

Here is a good reference between Phono and Line levels.

Not the specifics, but the line in on all Sonos devices requires ‘standard’ line level input.

Here is a good reference between Phono and Line levels.

So, assuming my phono line output is “standard”, which line level am I supposed to use on the Five - “Level 2 (A/V component)?

Probably, yes. All A/V components use Line Level as well. In fact. I think only old standard amplifiers have built in ‘phono’ jacks, which are designed to accept phono level inputs, and feed them to an internal pre-amp to boost them to line level so the rest of the amplifier can deal with the signal.