Sonos connection to a Yamaha RX-V671 receiver

Badge +1

Hello Folks,

First off, my Sonos has changed my life across the board.  I cannot say enough good things about it.

10 yrs ago I purchased a Yamaha RX-V671.  Solid piece of gear although a little long in the tooth.  It came with Pandora burned into the system (along with Sirrus).  I subscribed to Pandora and was able to use the  “Line-in” feature of the Sonos.  I can successfully use the RX-V671 to output Pandora to my Sonos.

This past Christmas, my son convinced me to ditch Pandora and go with Spotify.  With this whole pandemic, “shelter in place” thing going on, I am slowly working through my “honey-do” list.

Today I tried every configuration I could muster for the Internet to try and output the Sonos CONNECT into the Yamaha RX-V671 so I could play Spotify in my living room.  I tried bothe optical and analog (RCA jacks).  I double checked the RCA cables with a continuity meter.  Lines are clean.  I tried using Audio 1, Audio 2 as well as the audio inputs that have an analog video connection on the receiver...no dice.

I also tried the “Variable”, “Fixed”, “Pass-Through” configs within the Sonos app.

Any kind words from you all would be appreciated.

I hope you are all safe and well.  Hunker down and lower that dern curve!!

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Lets leave it at Fixed for now in the Sonos app so we know it is outputting a proper signal

From the Sonos analog out to the Yamaha Audio 1 with RCA cables

Select Audio one from the front and there really isn’t a reason then that it shouldn’t work.

The digital inputs get a bit complicated in assignments - but the Audio 1 jack should be pretty straight forward.

If you want to use digital your going to have to assign the input in the back to a specific selection on front via the TV screen menu ...see page 26 of manual https://europe.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/2/324932/RX-V671_om_en3-1.pdf

Badge +1

Hey Chris,

Thanks for your speedy reply.

I tried the analog RCA setup but no dice.  I tried plugging into both Audio 1 and 2.  I cranked the volume up on both inputs.  I heard some bleed over from the Pandora app that resides in the receiver but that was it.  Both inputs have a signal.  I can hear the hiss (and Pandora) when the volume is up.

I also confirmed the latest firmware (1.80).

Not sure where to go from here.

If I did want to pursue the optical route.  Do you have a suggestion?  I’m a little confused about that process.  I have a 1st gen Apple TV connected both HTML as well as optical.  The other optical and HTML is from my Spectrum DVR.  There are only two optical connections available on this particular receiver.

Thanks again for your brain-power.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Have you tried plugging the Connect into something else with audio inputs to see if its the connect or the receiver.

Have you gone into the menu settings for your receiver on the Yamaha on your tv and looked at the audio settings to make sure the audio 1 and audio 2 are set to analog.   Some receivers will require a toggle on the inputs between digital and analog.

You can also in those menus referenced on the page in manual in my earlier post - set a specific digital input on the back to a specific source toggle on the receiver.   You can try that and optical cable from the connect.

Badge +1

Hey Chris,

Thanks again.

I’ll go through your tick list. 

I’m going to have swipe back the old receiver I gave to my kid since I don’t have anything to plug into from the Sonos. At least not at line level.

I did look over the operating manual you referred to.  I’m not sure if I understand your reference of “set a specific digital input on the back to s specific source toggle on the receiver.” 

I would basically connect a fiber-optic cable to let's say AV1 and select that from the receiver...correct?  Even though there’s no component video, I should still get the audio...right?

Thanks,

Peter

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

yes correct

Badge +1

Well...I have not had any luck.

I’m wondering if I should just start over from scratch.  Reset the whole system.

Below are screenshots from my phone showing the “Line-In” The next screen is the window that follows after you select “Line-In”.

Should I be getting a “Line-Out” selection as well?

Line-In works with no issues.  I can play the tuner, TV, anything that the receiver outputs.  I just cannot go the other way using the RCA analog connection to Audio 1 or 2 as well as the optical connection using AV1 - 5.

I am stumped.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Can you print screen the setting on System-Connect-Line out - here's mine (my system is in Dutch language and my Connect/room is called CD Connect because it has my CD-player connected):

Badge +1

Hello 106rallye

Here’s the page stitched together.

Dank U,

Peter

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I conclude that for Line-out you have the same settings I do (I can't check the effects of this because I have no amplification connected to my Connect, just the CD-player.. Can't help you any further, sorry.

Badge +1

No problem 106raille.

I appreciate the effort, I really do.
As I had mentioned.  I may just start over from scratch with the hopes that “burping the baby” will lead to a healthy child, that being my Sonos system.

Thanks again.

User311378,

Factory reset of the CONNECT will not cure fundamental issues. Do you have another analog source, such as a CD player, that you can temporarily attach to the YAMAHA instead of CONNECT? This will check your cables and YAMAHA configuration.

Badge +1

Hey Buzz,

I’m gonna have to borrow a device.  I’ve more or less eliminated those players when I bought the Sonos.  It was too easy calling up whatever music, radio, podcast...you name it. For some reason, I think I held onto my CD player.  I just need to climb a ladder to see if that’s true and if it is, I need to find a CD to use for the playback.

I will get back to you on this one.  Thanks for the help.  I appreciate your input.

Badge +1

Folks,

I burped the baby.

I am happy to inform you that I found the problem.  “Disable Wi-Fi”.  For some reason, this was how it was set. 

Once I selected “Enable Wi-Fi”, via the “Connect” section (had to wait a little bit) in Products section, the Sonos began playing through my interior speakers as well as the Zone 2 speakers outside.  Volume is “Fixed” FYI.

Thank you one and all for your helo and guidance.  Crowdsourcing this issue paid off.

Peter