Skip to main content

I have an issue that has annoyed me for well over a year now, but today it was particularly bad. I haven’t seen anyone else with the same issue. So decided to post here. I have looked on the forums for a solution, but no-one else seems to have the same issue.

--- SYSTEM --- 

My Sonos system is comprised of a Connect and 2 Play:1s.

The Connect is connected to ethernet back to the router. Both Play:1s are on wireless.

This issue only seems to affect the Connect, so I don’t believe this is specifically a network issue.

--- ISSUE ---

The issue is that the connect will jump/skip/stutter the audio of a song. Now I don’t mean skip to the next track, I mean jump like a record skipping, it just seems to “miss a beat” here and there. (I have some audio recordings of it doing it, but I never seem to manage the really bad ones). It will often happen more at the beginning of a track.

For extra information, it does not matter if I am streaming FLAC or MP3 from my NAS Drive or online streaming from Spotify/Google Music/Amazon Prime Music etc. they all seem to exhibit the same problem.

It should be noted that I have not had this issue with either Play1 as they do NOT have this problem. It only affects the Connect

Additionally I did a test a while ago where I put the Connect and a Play one in a group, from what I remember they played in sync perfectly until the Connect “jumped/stuttered” at which point the audio was slightly out of sync, when the connect jumped again they were back in sync.

I have sent some Diagnostics (Confirmation No, 792847402) as tonight while listening to Amazon Music it was happening quite regularly.

Hope someone can suggest a solution or Sonos can fix this.

Hi @Dickie-D

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post outlining the issue as well as the step(s) that you did, let me help and try to figure this out.

Upon checking the diagnostic. it shows that the WiFi interface of the Sonos Connect is disabled.

Can you try to enable it by following the instructions in this article, How to disable or enable WiFi on your Sonos players.

The system also detected symptoms indicative of Interference on one or more Sonos components.

This article will help you reduce wireless interference around your Sonos products.

If the advice above was followed and the issue still persists, please submit a new diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number so I can check further and see if there’s anything else causing this issue.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions feel free to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Thank you for your reply.

I'm a little confused as to why I need to turn on WiFi in the Connect as it is connected via an ethernet cable.

For information I turned it off in the first place because I was having these issues, and I had read on these forums that leaving the WiFi on can cause issues with glitching when hard wired, so I turned out off. It didn't make any difference, and I never thought it necessary to reenable it, however I can turn it back on.

To add some more info the issue is only with the Connect, and if I remember correctly turning off the 2 Play:1s leaving only the Connect, it still exhibited the same problem, and was still hard wired.

Hi @Dickie-D.

Thanks for your response and update.

The reason why we are recommending to turn on the WiFi on the component that is wired to the router is to enable a dedicated network called SonosNet where the rest of the Sonos components can connect. Connecting one of your Sonos products to your router with an Ethernet cable will put your system into a wired setup. In a wired setup, the wired product will broadcast a dedicated wireless network that your Sonos products will use. 

Using a wired setup is recommended if your home WiFi network is slow, unreliable, or does not reach all the rooms where you want Sonos, which often causes issues.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know, we’re always here to help.

OK.. Now Sorted… I thought I ought to come on here and explain what has happened.

As it turns out the SONOS connect was not at fault. After much head scratching it turned out that my new TV was sending changing ARC (Audio Return Chanel) lip sync delay signals to my amplifier and this was causing the skipping, this only happened when the TV was in standby.

This was very difficult to trace down, as when the issue presented itself, the TV was off and the only devices on where the amp and SONOS connect. (hence by assumption it was the connect as the amp never seemed to exhibit problems with other sources)

I have now turned off the auto lip sync feature in the amp, and set it to a fixed value and the issue has not since re-occurred.

I was always suspicious about it being a network issue, as the problem never seemed like that.

Anyway, Thank you for your help, and sorry for the long delay in replying to this.

Hi @Dickie-D.

Thanks for getting back to us to share what you did to resolve it.

This can benefit those members that might encounter the same concern and are looking for answers here in the community.

If you may have questions or run into any issues, do not hesitate to reach out,  we are always here to help.

Cheers!