Sonos Amp 6 speakers that are NOT Architectural series

• 19 June 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I know Sonos says they only support 6 speakers when using Architectural series speakers, however, has anyone had success with 6 8ohm speakers connected to a Sonos Amp?  If so kindly advise.  I’m looking to setup 6 outdoor rock speakers which are 8ohm and wondering if it might work.  I’m not looking to play them super loud and already limit the volume to 80% to prevent clipping on the current Connect: Amp that is powering 4 of them today.  Thanks in advance!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

It's not going to work, unless you wire in some impedance matching volume controls.  Without impedance matching, the overall impedance will be 2 Ohms, and the Sonos Amp will go into fault mode when overall impedance is below 4 Ohms.

Thanks.  6 x 8ohm speakers will actually be 1.3 ohms of impedance.  The architectural series must have a higher impedance than 8 ohms for them to be able to do this.  

It's not going to work, unless you wire in some impedance matching volume controls.  Without impedance matching, the overall impedance will be 2 Ohms, and the Sonos Amp will go into fault mode when overall impedance is below 4 Ohms.