Skip to main content
Question

SONOS Amp 2nd Ethernet port

• 22 October 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi, i need advice for 3 sonos amp installation. They located one near the other but 1 ethernet socket is available on the wall. For now i added a switch there to connect each one but i prefer a “cleaner” solution.

I was reading about the availability of a “daisy chain” solution (7 devices limited) to connect all of them using the secondary ethernet port available. I resume the connection scheme with S(ethernet socket on the wall) where the 3 amps are called A B C, E1 E2 are ethernet ports on the Sonos Amp, and the “----” is an ethernet cable.

S ---- A.E1/AE2----B.E1/E2----C.E1

In case it’s strongly advocated, we are currently renovating that area, it’s a possible for us to provide 3 ethernet sockets there, so connection scheme will be.
S1----A
S2----B
S3----C

Apart from the 7 devices limit (we have just 3) are there any other cons about this ? bandwidth ? i know/guess that streaming music does not require gigabit connections...
You have any suggestion or comment ?
Thank you for your time.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

The ports are limited to 100Mbps, but you’re never going to come anywhere near that limit. Your 3-node daisy-chain will be fine.

If these are your only Sonos players you would be recommended to disable their wireless (“disable WiFi” in the controller app). For this you will most probably need to connect each player in turn directly to the wall port (or switch). The controller doesn’t like disabling the wireless in daisy-chained nodes.

TY rarry for the info.
1) i will test the daisy-chain solution
2) About wifi on AMPs… On installation i never turned it on. I just plugged ethernet before turning on the AMPs and i straight found them on the APP
YES, in other area of the building we have many other sonos systems (Play 5 mainly) and they are using WIFI.

2) About wifi on AMPs… On installation i never turned it on. I just plugged ethernet before turning on the AMPs and i straight found them on the APP
YES, in other area of the building we have many other sonos systems (Play 5 mainly) and they are using WIFI.

To be clear, the “disable WiFi” option in the Sonos controller is in fact nothing to do with WiFi. It’s for disabling the radio in wired devices to prevent them from participating in SonosNet.

To be clear, the “disable WiFi” option in the Sonos controller is in fact nothing to do with WiFi. It’s for disabling the radio in wired devices to prevent them from participating in SonosNet.

• I’ll have to learn more about this… 
    i understand that SonosNet is “a proprietary wireless mesh WiFI network operating in the 2.4Ghz band. It includes MIMO and utilizes 20Mhz wide channels. SonosNet is optimized end-to-end for audio delivery to Sonos devices.” 
    So given the fact the the other sonos sys we have are far away from our AMPs (another building) i think that this SonosNet feature will not interfere with those other sys. + last time i checked from the switch all amps were showing on the switch as connected on ethernet. > if i may, i ask you to explain more and and as i said i’m learning so i can say a lot of bs ..pardon me if this is the case :)

Sonos call a SonosNet based configuration a “wired setup” (despite the fact that it enables Sonos’ proprietary wireless mesh), and a WiFi based configuration a “wireless setup”.

See these FAQs for more info:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3235

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3209

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3237