Setup, Install, and Getting the most from Sonos Amp

• 18 March 2019
  • 62 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

62 replies

No worries. And honestly, I have no idea how much weight it could take. Oddly, it seems to be designed to be rack mounted as well, but at 1U, I would think there would still be at least an inch between the top of one and the bottom tray of the next.

Thanks Bruce, that's what I suspected. I'm not sure I always want the TV coming through my main speakers/with full surround (e.g. when our daughter is watching something) - so if I went for the Amp+passive speakers Front L/R, Sub, and possibly Sonos Ones as Rear L/R, can I easily disable/enable the entire Sonos routing so sounds just plays through the TV. I know that is dependant on others things like the TV but I guess I just keep the Optical connection between the TV and Amp unplugged, and plug it when we are going to watch a film/want full surround sound...

Hi @Cooalztec.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

Yes, it will surely damage your speakers if you go beyond the limit.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Thank Mark.  Can you provide more detail? Are you saying it would work if not turned up to high levels?  

Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Hi AjTrek1

Thanks for your reply, some really good points. It seems the best option is to look either having the amp run a pair of speakers at the front (unlikely given need for wife approval 🙂 ) so I can switch off surrounds, or go with a separate stereo set up.

Based on your bio at the bottom of your reply you have a lot of sonos gear including 2 amps! In your opinion would I get a better sound out of a Sonos amp running a more 'hifi' (if that is the best way to describe them) pair of speakers than I would from say a pair of play 5's or Play 1's and a sub, with the benefits of Trueplay? Alternatively I could go with some separate powered speakers and a Sonos Connect.

Be keen to hear your thoughts, and thanks again for the reply.

Cheers

Hi there,
Just wanted to check were you able to try the setup(Sonos amp with bookshelf speakers for TV)? Interested to try this setup with Amp and 2 passive speakers plus Sonos sub and Play 1s as surrounds.
Thanks
No, I was unable to create a wireless connection to my Amp Connect for surround sound. I went with a Sony Soundbar plus two wireless Sony bookshelf speakers in back.

...another thought.

If I only had Beam, Sub and Amp (powering 2 passives), I could easily switch between these two setups just by using the 'remove sub' and ' add sub' button if they are set up as individual 'Rooms' (even though they are in the same physical room) :

Beam and Sub in 3.1 surround (for films)

Amp and Sub in 2.1 stereo (for music)

That way I wouldn't need to reapply Trueplay each time as the Beam settings wouldn't change and it would just be a 3-4 button press operation to switch, which would only be when we watch a film once or twice a week (for normal TV I'd leave the Beam disconnected).

Is that right?

When you remove any speaker from a “room” in the Sonos software, it automatically strips any TruePlay tuning from that room. 

Depending on your setup, that may, or may not be an issue. Since there is zero cost in the experiment, beyond your time, I’d suggest that you try it, and see how it works for you. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +5
No, I was unable to create a wireless connection to my Amp Connect for surround sound. I went with a Sony Soundbar plus two wireless Sony bookshelf speakers in back.

Was it a fault with your particular unit?

Hi Danny.

Thanks for your response.

Here are the three scenarios and what I would want in each (ideally)

i) Films: surround sound, either 3.1 or 4.1 as seems to be the options.

ii) Music: Stereo 2.1.

iii) TV: TV speakers (My Little Pony through a  4.1 system just makes my teeth crunch!, though to be honest we only generally watch comedy so don't want it played through the stereo system, surround or not). 

FYI in iii) I would just disconnect the optical cable and turn the volume back up on TV (or whatever was needed).

Also FYI, if I had 2 x Sonos Ones to act as Rear L/R (and access Trueplay if using Amp rather than Beam), these would live in separate rooms normally and just be moved into the TV room when wanting full surround and/or Trueplay.

Basically my main passion is music and this would be any gears primary purpose, but having the facility to have an immersive cinema experience without too much extra outlay is obviously appealling. Which is where Sonos wins over others.

From previous post I think I am having to ditch the idea of having two 'rooms' that I can switch the Sub between. 

I think my current preference of the possibilities is Amp driving 2 passives, with Sub and 2 x Sonos Ones. TV will connect to Amp as and when needed via Optical, at which point I may or may not bring in the Ones for surround/Trueplay. If I can't be bothered bringing in the Ones/resetting up Truplay I believe I can still adjust L/R balance of passives and overall bass/treble to ensure dialogue comes through.

....I think!

🙈

Niraj, no, it was not a problem with my unit — the Amp Connect is an older design that has limited wireless abilities. But it’s great for my wired connections!

Thanks, and fair points. Some is choice driven, others may be a few gaps in my knowledge, so thanks as some of your info I hadn't considered.

To be fair, it's more of a faff than I first envisaged, but the benefit is having a good 2.1 system with the flexibility of either having a multi room or a surround sound experience availabl via the Ones. So a price and a payoff.

If I can afford to add 2 more Ones later, then they could make a permenant fixture in the TV surround setup, amd as you say just disable them if preferred.

Sonos loose my need to buy their Sub, as that is now free to be what ever as the benefit would have been to easily swap it between the different scenarios. I will probably get something that can be used in a small music studio setup (yes, another consideration!).

BTW, I think Trueplay can be used with Amp IF using Sonos speakers as rears.

thanks again, really is very much appreciated.

Hello, 

I am using setting up my new Amp to power 2 pairs of speakers that are 100 watts and 8ohms.  They are in different rooms and I want the ability to play one pair at times.  I want to use a Niles SSVC-4 speaker selector for that but saw the manual for it states not to use with Amps that are rated at more than 100 watts per channel at 8 ohms.  Can I do this set up as mentioned or will there be issues? 

Thanks.