Setup, Install, and Getting the most from Sonos Amp

• 18 March 2019
  • 62 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

62 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
jgatie is correct. The line-in connection is disabled on all speakers being used as surrounds. When the Play:5 gen2 is bonded as a surround speaker, the line-in is disabled there as well.
Can you use the Amp for the front left and right in a 5.1 setup and a Play 1/3/5 as the centre channel rather than a 'virtual' channel?

Thanks

I have an Arc and Amp with two in-ceiling speakers, which device is connected to the TV eARC outlet as there is only 1 eArc on my TV?

No. Sonos doesn't have any provision for a center only speaker.
Currently I have two Play:5 in stereo setup hooked up through the line in on one of the Play:5s. Being able to use HDMI ARC would be much better for being able to control TV sound though.

Can I use the HDMI ARC on the amp together with two Play:5 as fronts or do the fronts actually have to be the wired speakers. So I want todo the following setup

TV ---HDMI ARC---> SONOS AMP ----> 2 Play:5 in a stereo pair
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can I use the HDMI ARC on the amp together with two Play:5 as fronts or do the fronts actually have to be the wired speakers.
The L/R fronts have to be the wired speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Short answer is no. There isn't currently a way to have your Amp receive the audio signal and pipe the front channels to the Play:5s while acting as the rear speakers.

The Sonos device that's operating as the front channels is treated as the master device, and is the only one in the room setup that has the TV input active. So if you have an Amp set up as the home theater main speaker, its connected speakers would be the front channels, and the Play:5s would be your surrounds. The Play:5 isn't a home theater capable player to be able to run as the front channels as it doesn't have a TV input, only the analog line-in.

The Arc would get the eARC connections, as the Amp would be bonded  to the Arc wirelessly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The Play:5s have a line-in that you could connect assuming your TV has an analog RCA output, but it's not intended for TV audio, so you could notice some lip sync issues.
Thank you for updating us about Setup, Installation procedure and Getting the most from Sonos Amp.
Richard
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks for the answer Ryan.

So I can't even use them as a stereo pair for the TV-sound?

I've got the same question. I'd like to use the Amp connected to an Apple TV which is also connected to a projector. Would the audio coming out of the AMP necessarily only be the front L/R channel? Could you have mono go to all speakers?
Thanks for the answer Ryan.

So I can't even use them as a stereo pair for the TV-sound?

I've got the same question. I'd like to use the Amp connected to an Apple TV which is also connected to a projector. Would the audio coming out of the AMP necessarily only be the front L/R channel? Could you have mono go to all speakers?

The amp would be the front L/R phantom center channels only. I don't think mono is an option for TV. Regardless, you could connect 4 passive speakers (2 pairs) to a single amp if you wish. If your goal is to be wireless though, that won't help you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Setting the Amp to mono will affect all sources of audio you're playing. If you have the TV input on, it'll still be playing mono out of all speakers wired to the Amp.
Hi, I currently have a sonos home theatre set up with playbar, sub and play 1s. I’m looking at picking up an amp running a pair of passive speakers as surrounds, not sure if bookshelf or floorstanders, mainly for listening to music, I don’t expect any better for surround sound.

My questions are; will my sonos sub bond with the amp for tv (assume just the sub line out doesn’t work); and is there any way I can easily switch off the playbar so I get a straight stereo set up from the rears and amp? Only a sound bar is suitable at front.

Also, does anyone have any speaker recommendations to pair with the amp? Not unhappy with current set up other than not being able to switch off playbar, just looking for a change and hopefully an improved stereo experience

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Hi Lpatch

Maybe this will help.

Hi, I currently have a sonos home theatre set up with playbar, sub and play 1s. I’m looking at picking up an amp running a pair of passive speakers as surrounds, not sure if bookshelf or floorstanders, mainly for listening to music, I don’t expect any better for surround sound.
This part of your question is a bit confusing. You stated "I currently have a sonos home theatre set up with playbar, sub and play 1s". Assuming your Play 1's are used as surrounds why would you want a Sonos Amp to power third party speakers as surrounds? When playing music you may get better sound from the 3rd party speakers used as rears instead of the Play 1's; but the Playbar would still be part of the mix.

The only logical reason IMO to purchase a Sonos Amp to power 3rd party speakers would be to have a dedicated two (2) channel stereo system.

.My questions are; will my sonos sub bond with the amp for tv (assume just the sub line out doesn’t work); and is there any way I can easily switch off the playbar so I get a straight stereo set up from the rears and amp? Only a sound bar is suitable at front.
The sub can only be bonded to one configuration at a time. There is no way to switch off the Playbar. FYI, This was also answered above.:8

Also, does anyone have any speaker recommendations to pair with the amp? Not unhappy with current set up other than not being able to switch off playbar, just looking for a change and hopefully an improved stereo experienc
I don't have any speaker recommendations other than to say to be sure to follow the recommendations in the link regarding impedance and wiring. https://support.sonos.com/s/article/265?language=en_US

There are a lot of good sounding floor and bookshelf speakers depending upon how mush you want to invest. I'm sure someone in the community will offer their opinion.

When I was shopping for speakers (back-in-the-day) I'd audition the best sounding speakers in the room typically $6,000 per pair (which I couldn't afford :8). Then I'd listen to speakers within my budget that would approximate (to my ears) the stereo acoustics that came as close as possible to that of the $6K pair. Not very scientific but I found that Definitive Technology speaker's were a good fit at typically $2000 per pair. WoW, I just made a recommendation ;)

Note: I might also add that when I was seriously shopping for speakers there were a lot of audiophile stores in business with speakers setup in listening rooms. That made auditioning speakers an enjoyable experience. A far cry from the big box stores with speakers all around playing the same sample loop. My point (if possible) is to locate a store with a listening room to really get a feel for what type of speaker sounds best to you.

Cheers!

I am looking to impliment this variant, similar to some others here but (I think) slightly different.

In the same room I want to have a music setup and a surround setup, that shares some components but not others.

This is what I am thinking.…

Music (2.1) System: Amp powering 2 passive 3rd party speakers, Amp bonded to Sonos Sub.

Home Threatre System: Beam bonded to Sonos Sub, with 2x Sonos Ones as Rear Left and Right, and IDEALLY using Amp/2 passive speakers as front left/right BUT this is sacraficible as those speakers are not equal distance from the tv (one is quite close, the other 2m away). I suspect I will have to ditch these OR the Beam in this set up.

If I need to compromise/adjust this that's fine but the one thing that I definitely want is to utilise the Sonos Sub for music AND home threatre, even if that means going onto the app to remove it from one and add it to the other when necessary.

TV does NOT have ARC (sadly)

What do you think, is this possible:

1) switching the use of the Sub between the Amp/passive speakers and the Beam when needed.

2) with the passive speakers acting as Front L/R with Beam, Sub and Ones completing the full surround.

Cheers in advance for any input/thoughts.

Hi AjTrek1

Thanks for your reply, some really good points. It seems the best option is to look either having the amp run a pair of speakers at the front (unlikely given need for wife approval 🙂 ) so I can switch off surrounds, or go with a separate stereo set up.

Based on your bio at the bottom of your reply you have a lot of sonos gear including 2 amps! In your opinion would I get a better sound out of a Sonos amp running a more 'hifi' (if that is the best way to describe them) pair of speakers than I would from say a pair of play 5's or Play 1's and a sub, with the benefits of Trueplay? Alternatively I could go with some separate powered speakers and a Sonos Connect.

Be keen to hear your thoughts, and thanks again for the reply.

Cheers

Question. 

I have an older BenQ projector that doesn’t have hdmi or optical Out. The room has an ArC/ play 1/ and sub set up in surround. 

I tried the stereo out to a port but the volume was very low. If I buy an sonos amp would this fix my issue and give me better sound in the sonos. 

1. I have found that unbonding and rebonding the SUB, and then re TruePlaying the room to be onerous. You may feel differently.
  2. If you’re using one of the Sonos sound bars, you are not able to also have Left and Right speakers. All Sonos sound bars contain the right, center and left channels in the single box, and the software doesn’t provide an opportunity to split them out. You could instead use the Sonos Amp to drive third party speakers as right and left, and have the “phantom” center created by Sonos. In that situation, you could use a second Amp to drive the surrounds, or use other Sonos speakers as surrounds.

Question. 

I have an older BenQ projector that doesn’t have hdmi or optical Out. The room has an ArC/ play 1/ and sub set up in surround. 

I tried the stereo out to a port but the volume was very low. If I buy an sonos amp would this fix my issue and give me better sound in the sonos. 

If you have an Arc, then you have two options here.  One is to get an HDMI/optical extactor that will extract audio from your source and send it to the Arc viable optical, and send HDMI to your projector.  This is fairly easy, but the downside is that you are limited to dolby digital 5.1 audio.  

The second option is to get an HD Fury Arcana.  More expensive option, but it will extract HDMI-eARC from your source HDMI, passing HDMI to your projector.  That means full TrueHD atmos sound if your source produces that.

No, the Sonos Amp isn’t really going to help out in this situation.

I am considering a Sonos Amp for my study but wanted to know if it is possible to stack a LCD monitor on top of the amp? The monitor weighs about 5kg...

Thank you for quick reply. 

I have the hdmi matrix which splits the hdmi

And opticaL sound. The arc is in the front of the room

and the projector in the back. My thought initially was rca to SONOS PORT and that would pump sound into Sonos system. But with the port being soft, I thought split the sound with the HDMI MATRIX to optical and feed that into the sonos AMP (using the optical to hdmi Sonos cable) . Would this work and make the sound louder since the amp is an amplifier I assume. 

would this work? The ARC being in the front of the room makes it difficult to connect the hdmi to the projector and the optical to the arc. 

I wouldn't want to. The top of the Sonos Amp is designed to act as a heat outlet, I would think stacking something on top of it would be counterproductive.
I wouldn't want to. The top of the Sonos Amp is designed to act as a heat outlet, I would think stacking something on top of it would be counterproductive.. Thanks, I couldn't tell if the only ventilation was underneath but I just found a review that stated the top is ventilated.
Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Cooalztec.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

Yes, it will surely damage your speakers if you go beyond the limit.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.