Skip to main content

I bought a second hand Connect ZP90 thinking that I would be able to plug in my turntable and listen to vinyl through all my Sonos speakers. Perhaps I misunderstood? I’m still not sure if this is possible.

I have a Nad 3020 power amp but no pre-amp. Can I connect this to my Connect or will the signal be too strong?

If I can use the power amp or I get a turntable pre-amp and line-in to the Connect, can I expect to be able to listen via wi-fi without any hard wired speakers or a line-in to a Play 5?

Many thanks

In order to get the turntable’s phono level output (very low) to a line level output (what Sonos is expecting, and what all other devices output except turntables) you must have some sort of pre-amp between the turntable and the Sonos.

Some new turntables have them built in these days, so you would just flip the switch from Phono to Line.

Most stereo receivers had them built in (ever notice that the Phono input was always separate from all other inputs, to allow more space for the built in pre-amp?), so if you’re using a receiver, you can use the phono input, and connect the CONNECT to a tape loop.

However, if you’re trying to connect an older turntable directly to the CONNECT, you’d need a pre-amp. They’re relatively inexpensive items, you can search on Amazon and take a decision. 

Hello Airgetlam (Bruce)

Thank you for your reply. I will get a pre-amp to progress to the next stage but to confirm my assumption, can I set up as follows:

Turntable > pre-amp > Connect ZP90 > wireless playback through Sonos speakers

with no need to hard wire to speakers or line-in to a Play5

Thanks, Mark

Yes, that would be correct. The wired setup to the ZP90 gets the turntable’s signal into the Sonos ecosystem. Once that's done, you can play it on any Sonos device in your system.   

Much obliged for the confirmation. Sometimes setting up and maintenance of Sonos can feel like an expedition into the unknown so the confirmation of expectations is very helpful.

All the best, Mark.

It all makes sense, if you follow the crumbs, but not everyone needs to know all the details. We all have our own areas of expertise. Happy to have been able to help, yell if you run in to any other issues. The regulars around here are happy to help.