Port and Move

Userlevel 1
Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 10 replies

If all I have is the Sonos Move and the Port, I could stream CD player and Turntable (with pre-amp) to the Move without an amplifier/receiver, correct? Your thoughts.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 7

Yes, but if you want to connect both the CD player and turntable to the AUDIO IN RCA connections on the Port, you will need an RCA switch like this too:

https://a.co/d/ixja9zj

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for confirming! I do have a Port and the Move (got them today) and I finally got the CD player to stream today.  My house is small and the Move is good enough for me. I like the Input Switch box you suggested. I do have a turntable but it does not have a built in pre-amp, so I may have to get one of those. 

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

For versatility combined with sound quality the Move is very good (or so I’ve read - I do not own one). If you do not need the “move” qualities of the Move but only a speaker, you could buy a Five instead of a Port and forget about the Move. The Five is to all accounts a fine speaker (again - I do not own one) that also has a line in, like the Port. A Five is less expensive than a Port + Move.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m enjoying the Sonos experience. I collected CD’s and Vinyl for a certain period only and to me they represent a slice of my life and the memories they evoke is awesome! One question I have is, do people power off the Port and Move when not in use?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Not idea about the Move, but my Connect (and other Sonos gear) is never powered off.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sounds good to me.

The SONOS vision is that the units are constantly powered.

If you don’t use the system for extended periods you can reduce its carbon footprint by powering down. It will require a couple minutes for the system to power up and figure out the current network topology. You should plan your power up/down. For example if there is only one unit wired to the network and you decide not to power that unit, the system is not likely to work. In SonosNet mode (one or more players wired to the network) wireless SONOS players (other than ROAM or MOVE) will build a private wireless mesh network. In this arrangement the order of power up might be important. For example, if there is a long string of wireless SonosNet players an intermediate location might be supporting a distant location. In this case it would be best to power up the intermediate location prior to the distant location. The players would likely work this out (eventually), but intelligent power sequencing would speed the process.

Another annoyance could occur if some players and controllers update to a new firmware version while others are powered down. As the repowered units restart, they’ll demand an update.

None of these details are show stopping, just plan for them.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Got it, thanks Buzz.

I don’t see the info mentioned anywhere in the documentation and as a new user I wanted to ask.

Much appreciated!

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

My turntable → pre-amp → Sonos port all the time. Then I can listen to the turntable from any of my other sonos devices. I don’t use any of the various “line in” inputs that may be on some of the speakers. It works great.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Beautiful!

Because my pre-amp is my receiver, I connected the Out from the receiver to the Port Input and that works. However I’m not totally thrilled with the sound and I may get another turntable, this time with a built in pre-amp; just watching for the year end sales:-)  My current t-table is a basic Sony that I’ve for ages, so probably time to take it out of the rotation, if you’ll pardon the expression.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

That should work just fine. Odd that the sounds isn’t good. does the TT sound good when you just play into into speakers without Sonos?

Userlevel 1
Badge

It sounds better than on the Sonos Move. For example, I played a Springsteen album and it’s just a tad weaker. Maybe I need a new stylus?

Beautiful!

Because my pre-amp is my receiver, I connected the Out from the receiver to the Port Input and that works. However I’m not totally thrilled with the sound and I may get another turntable, this time with a built in pre-amp; just watching for the year end sales:-)  My current t-table is a basic Sony that I’ve for ages, so probably time to take it out of the rotation, if you’ll pardon the expression.

You possibly just need to set the line-in ‘source level’ higher in the Ports ‘room’ settings in the App (‘Settings/System/[Port Room Name]’) - see if that helps to improve things.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ll try the ‘source level’ adjustment tomorrow and let you know what I find. (The whole settings stuff is new to me, I’m still getting used to it)

Thanks for the advice Ken Griffiths.

I’ll try the ‘source level’ adjustment tomorrow and let you know what I find. (The whole settings stuff is new to me, I’m still getting used to it)

Thanks for the advice Ken Griffiths.

Just set it to the highest setting/level whereby at full volume you do not hear distortion from its output to the Move. It should hopefully improve things for you.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Worked like a charm sir!

I’m getting the hang of the Sonos App and the myriad of settings.

Spinning The Boss’s “The River” double album - sounds great!

🙏🏼

Beautiful!

Stylus assemblies have some polymers inside that degrade over time. An ancient cartridge will have degraded in storage. Also, stylus wear can be an issue. A rule of thumb is to replace after 1000 listening hours, but playback degrades slowly with each play, Some very fussy listeners will replace after 500 hours, while not so fussy listeners will ask if they should replace the stylus after having used it for several thousand hours. A badly worn stylus will result in excessive record wear.

Stylus assemblies are temperature sensitive and will sound quite different in a cold winter room vs a warm summer room. I’ve had some odd experiences in a room where the turntable was in the cold air path of an air conditioner. When the cold air was circulating, the turntable sounded different.

I’m not a fan of very cheap cartridges. And, similar to mounting a random something 14” and round on a tire rim will not likely result in excellent driving performance, it is important to use the correct cartridge-arm pairing.

Finally, there is some skill required when mounting the cartridge in the arm. Very little is written about this, but correct mounting is critically important. Very small location and angle adjustments result in critical differences for fussy listeners.