New SONOS Brigde with integrated Apple AirPlay support

• 29 March 2014
  • 29 replies

So far it is only possible to use SONOS and Apple Airplay when connecting a SONOS Connect or Play:5 with an additional Apple device supporting AirPlay (e.g. Airport Express). Therefore, the idea is to develop a SONOS Bridge which has integrated support for Apple AirPlay without additional hardware. 

Benefits would be in this case that
- no additional hardware and cabeling is necessary to use AirPlay in the SONOS system
- one could easily allow guests to quickly output their audio to the SONOS system
- all iOS devices would be supported as a sources without further software
- with an appropriate AirPlay software on PC / Mac one could even send audio from there into the Sonos audio system

The Sonos controller could then represent this "AirPlay input" as a new audio source within the complete SONOS system.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

Apple is dropping Airport Express production? Could be...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5mac.com/2016/11/21/apple-reportedly-stops-developing-airport-wifi-router-products-moving-employees-to-other-projects/amp/

With Apple now selling Sonos products, let's speculate about the future...

Apple Music app casting natively to Sonos, like Google now does? Apple invents a new, modern casting protocol like Chromecast or Spotify Connect (proprietary, of course, lol) which Sonos includes?
Casting would conform to the approved model, of passing the stream directly from source to player rather than forwarding it through the mobile device. All well and good for Apple Music (maybe one day), but it would leave other apps high and dry unless/until they could also cast.
Badge
I really like the integration of sonos within it's own ecosystem of speakers. I just need reliable streaming to one sonos device from what I gather since once that is established, the sonos play 5 would cast to a play 1 using it's own network. Since sonos has added Apple music to their app, I can live with craftign playlists in sonos, and depending on a boost/bridge for better network.

I would however depend on the airport express and it's audio output to a primary sonos speaker in order to listen to podcasts…UNLESS sonos integrates more apps (I use downcast) into the sonos player. Downcast keeps track of my position in whichever podcasts I listen to, so when I move to a different device (like my iphone in the car) I am synced up.

It seems like it would be better to stick with sonos and just get another damn speaker and enjoy it 🙂 Nothing out there really supports airplay for multiple speaker support anyway from what I can tell.

Actually, does ANY speaker system create it's own network and play throughout a multiple set of speakers?
Actually, does ANY speaker system create it's own network and play throughout a multiple set of speakers?
I believe Raumfeld does, but they're a bit on the periphery of this market space.