Skip to main content
Hello,

Loving this Play 5, but I'm having a problem with a really low bass rumble when listening to vinyl which is connected to the line in.

It doesnt happen with every record I play oddly enough, but when it does its very noticeable.

I have other sonos speakers that arent connected to the turntable directly and those dont rumble while the 5 is when listening at the same time. Because of that I think I can rule out the turntable (which is the Pro-Ject Essential that came with the bundle from the sonos site.)

Ive adjusted the line in settings on the app but that doesnt seem to affect the issue.

Also, at times it isnt a constant rumble but rather comes in waves so to speak.

Is it possibly a grounding issue? Sometimes moving the speaker around kills the rumble, but Ive never read about grounding issues with that connection.

As far as my setup, the player sits on top of a 3 row shelf, and the Play 5 is currently on the bottom shelf.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
I should also point out that the speaker only rumbles when listening to vinyl. It's clean when I listen to other sources like Sonos Connect and Amazon Music.
Try keeping the Play 5 as far a physically possible from the turntable, sounds like feedback from the speaker getting into the cartridge.
Thought about that, but if its getting into the cartridge then I would think I would hear it throughout the system and not just on the 5. I'm already about max on the cable that came with the bundle, so I couldn't get them much farther apart at this point. Could be worth getting a longer cable to give it a shot.
Rumble is very low frequency, which the Play:5 reproduces, but the lower end Sonos speakers don’t, so won’t be heard through them. The Pro-Ject is an OK turntable, but doesn’t have the isolation or precision bearing that better designed, mostly out of production, turntables do, so rumble it will.
Also don’t play with the lid on the turntable in the up position.
Yeah, I never do that.
If that's the case Chicks, I dont know why they would even try bundling these together. I knew it wasnt a top tier turntable, but certainly didnt expect that "feature".
Appears to be hit and miss with the Pro-Ject turntables. Probably not a lot of quality control done on them, is my guess. Here’s a typical thread on them; a search will turn up lots more. I’m sticking with vintage German and Japanese decks, like my Sony PS-X65, a nice direct drive with virtually no noise.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/motor-rumble-is-this-normal.542730/
Thanks for the info!