Skip to main content

I have an older Sonos system- bridge connected to my router, ZP 90 connected to denon receiver & a ZP120 (Connected by RCA) to cable box. The ZP120 was added so that I can listen to the (inside) TV in my outside (patio) speakers (hardwired). I’ve recently bought a Samsung TV (no RCA), ended up changing my cable box (spectrum d/t issues). I’ve had to factory reset my receiver & Sonos system d/t some connectivity issue (dropping audio).

All of this issues have resolved except for one. I cannot get audio from my TV audio to play via ZP120. I can use all other apps like pandora, spotify, etc (audio works fine) except for “line in” audio even though it looks like it is working. I had a local Sonos dealer tech check and the only thing that he came up with was that it may be the cable box (not converting digital/analog signal)- recommended that I try HDMI audio extractor or Digital to analog converter. I spoke with Sonos help and they saw that it looked like it was working but still no audio. They recommended “connected from cable box>>HDMI to TV>>from TV» Audio Out from TV to sonos device line in port” - we lost connection before it was resolved. Since I don’t have RCA on the TV, this is not possible. The ZP120 doesn’t have other options.

Does anyone have any recommendations or have you tried something that worked in a similar situation? Greatly appreciate any help.

HI @Ivys

Welcome to the Sonos community. Thanks for reaching out to us and for your detailed post describing your concern. Let me help you out with this.

The suggested setup to get audio to your ZP120 from the TV could work, but you need an RCA port on the TV. However, it's not a recommended setup for you may experience audio delays.

How about checking the eligibility of your Sonos devices for the Upgrade program? If your Sonos ZP120 is eligible for an upgrade then you will get discounts when you purchase Sonos Amp. The Sonos Amp is the upgraded version of ZP120 and has an HDMI-ARC port that you can connect to your TV.  If your TV doesn’t have an HDMI-ARC port, you will need an optical audio adapter to complete the TV Setup.

Hope this helps. We can wait for suggestions and feedback from our Sonos community members, they might provide their inputs about this. If you wish to know more about Upgrade Program, you may also contact our sales team for further assistance.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, we’ll be glad to assist you.

the audio delay is not a big deal since the speakers are outside. 

Can you let me know how this would work my current system?

I have a ZP90 connected to my receiver & hdmi connects cable box & tv. will they all work together  

so the new amp would have rca inputs and then hdmi cable to connect to the tv? 

Hi @Ivys

Thanks for your response and for updating us.

With your current setup, the suggested connection will not work since your TV doesn't have RCA ports to connect your ZP120 (TV audio out RCA --> ZP120 audio in RCA). Please be reminded that this is not a recommended setup. 

The Sonos Amp has an HDMI-ARC port. Your TV should have an HDMI-ARC port for you to connect the Sonos Amp. If your TV doesn’t have an HDMI-ARC port, you will need an optical audio adapter to complete the TV Setup. You may check out the Sonos Amp product manual for your reference.

Let us know if you need help with any other information, we're here to help you out.