Is Sonos port best solution for zone 1?

• 26 February 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge

We have two Sonos ones with a Sonos sub in our kitchen  (zone 3) and a pair of smallish Paradigm speakers in our living room with a sub (zone 2) now running off a sonos amp in lieu of Zone 2 on our avr as it is easier to launch from the phone and we use it more--especially the wife.  We stream amazon music in those zones more than anything but can use the Sonos amp to play CD’s etc from our Library/HT/main listening area (Zone 1).  I am getting an Apple TV for the Library and that can stream amazon music to the AVR and then to the two other zones but it is a bit clunky.  I had some help with fishing wires by an electrician who also helps with HT and he said best to get a Sonos port and use the digital coax out to the avr to keep it simple.  I suppose I can run everything form the Sonos amp then but still need to trigger the avr and have the correct source chosen.  I am confused by the choices and appreciate any comments. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Badge

Hi,

Thank you for thinking about this.

Yes to both questions. Sonos gear now— pair of Sonos ones with sub (zone 1),  Sonos amp for zone 2.  

I currently have an Anthem 1140– traded in NAD T757.   The Anthem has a two channel line out that I can hook up to my Sonos amp and stream Amazon music from Apple TV   zone 1  as well as Sonos zone 2 and kitchen Sonos zone 3.   Zone 1 would not be a Sonos zone in that configuration.  The Anthem has digital coax connection too that could hook up to a Sonos port for zone 1 Sonos solution. The multiple possible solutions are confusing to those with limited experience.  Appreciate any opinions/guidance. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @OlyEndoMike, thanks for reaching out to the Sonos Community :)

It does sound like a Port would make sense here - just to confirm, you currently have a Sonos system, and a separate speaker system run off your AVR?

Mind providing the model of the AVR so we can take a look at all of the available connections?