Feature request: option to disable Line-In Latency/Delay on Sonos Five

• 1 January 2022
  • 27 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi Sonos team,

This has been requested before, but after extensive reading in the fora I could not find a solution or an answer from Sonos about prioritisation of this issue.

Can you please provide an option to disable audio-delay (latency) when a line-in device is used on a single Sonos speaker setup?

In an older conversation all kind of ideas were proposed by the community. There were a couple of things people agreed on:

• Many people are bothered that a minimal 75 ms latency is enforced. And they would be very happy if Sonos could give an option to disable the 70ms latency. Two use-cases where people encounter the latency-problem:
    • Creative music production (keyboard, dj-mixer)
    • Audio video where the Sonos is used for audio and a laptop/television as screen (for movie watching or video calls).
  • In a setup with 1 Sonos speaker and a line-in device as audio-source, the 70ms latency seems artificial and not dictated by technical limitations (i.e. buffering with multiple wireless Sonos speakers).

This is that thread:

Can you please consider providing options to the user to further reduce latency?

Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

At 100% volume from input to output, all the time? 

No, because it would need to be a physical bypass with volume control and EQ, if the bypass cannot be done via software.

So it would have to be a special model, with an analog path. With either a digitally controlled analog volume or ... a potentiometer. And presumably, to complete the quaint picture, Baxandall analog tone control circuits? 

This really is a full-blown descent of the rabbit hole.

That implies a physical analog bypass. There isn’t one. Besides, the volume control and EQ are all in the digital domain. 

That rules out any kind of physical bypass, for sure.

What I said...