Skip to main content
I have a new Connect which I want to hook up to my analogue hifi set up but it is too far for a wire to my router. I set up the Connect and the Sonos app by hooking it directly to the router. But when I move it in situ using just WiFi, my Sonos app cannot find the Connect. Does the Connect have to be plugged into router. If not why
Is your Connect software up to date? Check when wired to your Ethernet.

Did you configure the WiFi settings in the Sonos to match your WiFi?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2627?language=en_US

What are you using for your WiFi device?

You could connect the Ethernet again and submit a diagnostic then post the ID number here for Sonos support to look at.
Yes updated s/w when wired to Ethernet. Yes WiFi setting is matched to my iPhone when connected. So, in theory, i should be able to run a Connect with just WiFi connection? And once a WiFi network is chosen in the set up of the Connect, it will stay with that? (my house is complicated by 2 WiFi network for redundancy).
Yes updated s/w when wired to Ethernet. Yes WiFi setting is matched to my iPhone when connected. So, in theory, i should be able to run a Connect with just WiFi connection? And once a WiFi network is chosen in the set up of the Connect, it will stay with that? (my house is complicated by 2 WiFi network for redundancy).

Do both of your wi-fi systems have the same SSID, Channel and Password?
No, totally different. In fact 2 different broadband suppliers and 2 different routers. I am assuming that the Connect should keep the WiFi set up even after I unplugged it and moved it to its final position.
No, totally different. In fact 2 different broadband suppliers and 2 different routers. I am assuming that the Connect should keep the WiFi set up even after I unplugged it and moved it to its final position.

Yes it should. In your set-up though, the two parts of your home will be considered as completely separate locations and Sonos will only work across one of those at any one time.

Can you check that your wi-fi is configured to enable 2.4 GHz and not just 5 GHz - Sonos only uses 2.4GHz except for 5GHz for surround sound to Playbar/Playbase connections.
Yes it is 2.4 GHz. Even if there are 2 wifi Sonos presumable will only talk to the one set up in wireless set?
Yes it is 2.4 GHz. Even if there are 2 wifi Sonos presumable will only talk to the one set up in wireless set?

Yes, that's correct. I suggest, you submit a diagnostic when connected via the Ethernet cable and submit via Facebook or Twitter to Sonos support (As it's a weekend)
Thanks.
Thanks.

There are a few more steps in this article that you may also want to try:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/290?language=en_US