Skip to main content

I have purchased a turntable and speaker 5 for my husband for Christmas do i need any additional leads or are these included 

You need to establish whether the turntable has a built-in ‘phono pre-amp’.  If not then you would need to buy a separate phono pre-amp, to go between the the turntable and Sonos Five.

You need to check what outputs the turntable has.  Maybe the best thing is for you to post the exact make and model of the turntable here and we would be in a better position to advise.

Hi John 

Thank you for your response 

The turn table I’ve purchased is Pro- Ject T1 

So, according to the manual, no built in pre-amp, so you’ll need to get one, as John suggested. Connect the turntable to the pre-amp, and then the pre-amp to the line in on the Sonos. 

You’ll need something like this to connect the pre-amp to the Sonos Five. Note, my link is to the US Amazon site, based on your use of the word ‘leads’, I suspect you’ll want to search on the UK site for the same thing. 

Search for phono pre-amp also, they’re commodity items, inexpensive, and copious. 

You are not required to buy from Amazon, if you have a preferred vendor locally, they would like have both items.

It looks there are actually 3 versions of the Pro-ject T1

T1 - Preamp is needed.

T1 Phono SB - Preamp is included, has a line out option (this is the version Sonos sells with the Five as a package deal)

T1 BT - Has Preamp and bluetooth output.

So if you got the normal T1, you need to get a preamp, or get one of the other two versions.  If you got one of the other two version, you’re good.  If you bought the package off Sonos.com, you’re good.

So annoying as they have sold out of the package deal . I contacted customer care to ask if they had more stock coming for Xmas and they recommended I buy them separately, as they are the same price … they didn’t explain that . So it seems I now need to buy something else called a pre amp ? I’m guessing Sonos sell these too  ? Thanks for the advice. It would be so disappointing to find out on Xmas morning 

I’ve just checked and the one I’ve ordered is the project T1 SB so I think I’m good ! Yay 🙏

So annoying as they have sold out of the package deal . I contacted customer care to ask if they had more stock coming for Xmas and they recommended I buy them separately, as they are the same price … they didn’t explain that . So it seems I now need to buy something else called a pre amp ? I’m guessing Sonos sell these too  ? Thanks for the advice. It would be so disappointing to find out on Xmas morning 

I should have clarified.  If you bought the Pro-Ject T1 (Phono SB) from Sonos, it comes with the pre-amp.  You won’t need anything else  If you bought from someplace else, you should verify which version of the Pro-ject T1 you bought 

And no, Sonos doesn’t sell separate pre-amps..