Connecting Port to receiver to play vinyl

• 25 January 2022
  • 5 replies

I know that others have had success with this, but I’m not sure if my receiver is compatible with the Sonos system and thought I would see if anyone had any other ideas.

I am trying to connect my Port to my vi rage Sansui 5000 receiver to play vinyl records.  It seems like I am supposed to connect the “output” on the receiver to the “input” on the Port. However, my receiver doesn’t have a clear “output” setting (and also the plugs aren’t color coded!) I have tried connecting the cords to both the “Rec” and “mon” plugs and that doesn’t work. I have also tried connecting the turntable directly to the Port and that doesn’t work either. Would appreciate any ideas!

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

It should work from the REC jacks; those are the outs. Have you tried the “A” REC out?

Also be sure you’ve used the Browse menu (music notes icon) in the Sonos app to select “Line-In” as your source.

If your turntable has a built-in phono pre-amp, you can connect it directly to the Port by setting the turntable to Line output. It should be set to Phono when plugged into the Sansui (if it has an internal pre-amp, that is — if not it won’t have an output setting).

A far as your SANSUI 5000 is concerned, PORT should be connected to TAPE-A as if PORT is a cassette deck. On the 5000 you should select PHONO. 

A far as your SANSUI 5000 is concerned, PORT should be connected to TAPE-A as if PORT is a cassette deck. On the 5000 you should select PHONO. 

Why does it matter which between Tape A and B?

For OP: it appears that the Sansui speaker terminal are not being used? Set the line in on the Port to Autoplay to the desired Sonos speaker, also selecting the toggle for using grouped units.

Some receivers have a feature that allows TAPE 2 to copy TAPE 1 and the user must be more aware of front panel control settings, else PHONO might not be passed through to TAPE 2. 

Fair enough; amps I have known - when they had this feature at all - had just one pair for the loop, and an additional line out that had no corresponding in. This one seems to have two loops.