Skip to main content

Connect - no sound

• 20 November 2020
  • 15 replies

I have a system with one connect and three connect:amps, no sound plays from the connect. 

I have them grouped, with audio coming via line-in on one of the units. Which unit the line in is hooked up to (connect or one of the connect:Amps) has no effect on the problem. The connect line out is hooked up to a receiver. I’ve hooked another source up to the receiver’s line in and it plays fine. 

If I have the line in hooked up to the connect, all units grouped, I get sound out of the connect:amps but nothing seems to be coming from the connect line out. The Sonos app shows them all playing and volume is turned up.  Any ideas what I’m doing wrong with this setup?

Thanks!! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

I’ve submitted diagnostics, number 790132414

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Kcontzen.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community and providing the diagnostic report since you already tried all troubleshooting steps let me help you further.

Try unplugging all Sonos devices from power, then reboot your router. Once the router comes back up, plug your Sonos devices back in.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Hi - thanks for the help! I’d tried rebooting the components but not all together in this order. I just did that and the problem seems unchanged, audio everywhere except from the connect. Redid the diagnostics at number 1788861698

Have you tried switching the connect line audio-out from ‘variable’ to ‘fixed’, or vice versa - make sure the volume level on the receiver line-in is not set too high before trying it.

Yes, I’ve tried variable, fixed and pass-through and there’s no change. 

The Connect could have a failed analog output stage. It’s known to happen. One option is to put a cheap DAC on one of the digital outputs instead. 

Yes, I’ve tried variable, fixed and pass-through and there’s no change. 

I will assume you have already checked the lead/connections, as it’s quite clear you already know what you are doing with these devices. But… have you tried a factory reset of the Connect? I have seen that fix this type of issue when mentioned on some old threads here in the past.

I only have the one connect; the others are amps so they don’t have a line out or digital audio outs. 
edit - responding to an edited comment so just ignore this

Just tried the factory reset and that hasn’t changed anything. I don’t have a toslink cable available but I’ll pick one up and try the digital out. 

As a temporary measure, try using one of the RCA analog cables to connect the digital coax out to a suitable input on the receiver. So long as it’s not very long it should work, at least as an experiment. 

Just tried the factory reset and that hasn’t changed anything. I don’t have a toslink cable available but I’ll pick one up and try the digital out. 

Ah sorry to hear that. It was worth a try at least. If the connected Receiver does have a digital input (coax, or toslink) that seems to be the next step, I guess.

As a temporary measure, try using one of the RCA analog cables to connect the digital coax out to a suitable input on the receiver. So long as it’s not very long it should work, at least as an experiment. 

It works!!! So it seems the analog out has failed?

Now I have a new problem - the audio isn’t synced with the amp outputs. I’ve tried playing with the audio delay but I can’t get them to line up. With all delay settings the same, the speakers connected to the Sonos amps are ahead of the the connect optical output.

The receiver is doing audio processing, incurring a delay. See if it can be disabled, via a ‘direct mode’ or some such.

BTW I’d recommend moving to a proper digital coax cable if you’re going to stick with using that Connect output. 

The receiver is doing audio processing, incurring a delay. See if it can be disabled, via a ‘direct mode’ or some such.

BTW I’d recommend moving to a proper digital coax cable if you’re going to stick with using that Connect output. 

There’s an improvement but it’s still not good enough for listening... Maybe getting different amps to play together was a fool’s errand from the start 🤣

Thanks to everyone for your help here, it wouldn’t have occurred to me to check that the line out had failed!