Skip to main content

Can someone please direct me to where I can find what the differences (spec / performance) are between the Gen 1 & 2 versions of the connect amp? I am looking to buy a couple of amps for some ceiling speakers (kitchen and dining room) - I’m hoping that connect amps will be sufficient. I’ve looked on line but can’t find what actually changed in the Gen 2. Thanks in advance. 

As far as I can tell, there is no major difference in specs or performance. The only difference I could find was basic computing internals were upgraded for the Gen 2, and the mute button on the front was changed to a Play/Pause button. Because of the internals upgrade, the most important difference is the Gen 1 is only compatible with the Sonos S1 app and the Gen 2 is compatible with both the S1 and S2 app.

In terms of power output and connectivity, I don’t ~think~ there was any change, but it’s a confusing picture, because the Gen 1 product was originally known as the ZP120 (specs of which can easily be found online) and this became the Connect:amp (specs of which can easily be found online). The problem is that change did not exactly correspond to Gen 1 & 2 - so it’s quite easy to find Connect:amps that are labelled as such but are still only S1!

Having said that, for ceiling speakers I don’t think that realistically you will need more than 55W/channel (8 ohms), which is what both generations are rated at.

Hi GuitarSuperstar and Antifon

Thanks for your quick response. A big help. I was surprised how difficulty it was to find an overview of the differences between the models / versions.