Skip to main content

Diagnostic: 1236867488

Sonos Boost connected to turntable, unlistenable today. Nothing strange happending on the network. Tried resetting the network and changing the wireless channel, no change.

Set-up Playbar, Sub, 2 * Play:1’s Gen 1

2 Play:5s Gen 1

Play:5 Gen 2

Sonos Boost doesn’t connect to anything audio related. It’s a pure network component. Maybe you’re thinking of a Connect? 

“Muffled” could suggest analog connection problems between the turntable and the Connect (?), or perhaps a phono pre-amp that had been accidentally disabled.

“Choppy” could be due to a Line-In Autoplay not being sustained when the analog signal decreases. 

If you can’t resolve things the problem could well be network related. Someone from Sonos staff can take a look at your diagnostic.

Sorry its a Port not a boost. Full network switch off (unplug it, plug it back in again) seems to have sorted it rather than just rebooting the network.

Unfortunately still happening, rebooting network has no impact. Only started happening since I upgraded to the Port.

Diagnostic: 1795210030

moved channels, changed compression, reset network back up, complete reset of system.  No improvement. 

@MrBorodino Thank you for bringing your concerns to us here in the Sonos Community. I can see from your diagnostic reports that your Sonos products have not been re-booted along with your network re-booting. We can also see a possible bad Ethernet wire connecting your Boost to the router. I would ask that you take these steps:

1. Swap the Ethernet cable off the Boost to the router and replace it with the Ethernet cable from the Port
  2. Power off/on your modem/router(s)/extender(s)/access point(s) for 30 seconds with no lights.
  3. As they are powering on then power off/on your Sonos products, even the surrounds and Sub for 15 seconds with no lights.
  4. As they are powering on then re-boot the device(s) running the Sonos app.
  5. When you are connected back into the Sonos app check your line-in settings on the Port.
  6. Confirm if your turntable needs or is using a pre-amp, as well as please let us know the male/model of your turntable

After you are fully re-booted and connected back into your Sonos system test playing the line-in option under browse for your turntable option while the turntable is playing. You can follow up here with the testing results and new diagnostic report number as well.

Ok that worked. Any reason why this has suddenly started happening, I don’t want to be powering everything down on a weekly basis.

usually the Port isn’t wired, I connected it up via a WiFi extender this afternoon to see if that would fix the issue, I’m guessing that’s the reason it was showing as faulty (but wasn’t the cause of the issue).

Sorry forgot the updated diagnostic 1225004559

@MrBorodino Great to hear those steps got you back up and working. I cannot say why your Ethernet cable may have gone bad. Also, we do not perform well with extenders as noted in our system requirements. When you have at least one product of Sonos Ethernet wired to the router you will be using Sonosnet and each unit sends it to the next one up to about 40’ away from each other. The other devices and controllers you use can use the 2.4 G, 5 G or extender connection to the wifi network to see and control your Sonos units. The steps 2-4 from above, I would recommend that you do those about every 6 weeks to 2 months to keep your network refreshed and your Sonos products working refreshed on your network.

Please do not hesitate to bring your questions or troubleshooting needs to the Sonos Community in the future.

Full re-boot this morning. Sound has deteriorated by track 2 on the record player. The system really is unusable since I was forced to upgrade to the Port.

i am using a Rega Pre amp, SystemDek turntable. All works fine when not using sonos (I.e. using a separate speaker / amp).

Diagnostic - 27779387

@MrBorodino Thank you for your feedback and appreciate the follow up diagnostic report. Unfortunately, I do not see the recommend steps from above being completed. The report is still showing a possible Ethernet cable problem, Sonos products have not been properly re-booted, and we are still seeing performance issues for Sonos on your network. Also, I would recommend that when you start the music from your turntable and line-in on the Port that you make that room name the group controller, meaning the room name you start the music playback with. You can then group in your other rooms two or three at a time waiting about 30 seconds to a minute to group in other rooms until they are all grouped. Also, i would not have all of your rooms grouped at once if those areas were not being used.

I recommend that you go through the provided steps above once more and use the Port as the group controller. If the issue is continuing then also update us with your full network topology with the model names and numbers of the products that are wired or wirelessly connected on your network for any modem, router(s), extenders, access points or switches (managed or unmanaged).

Lastly, I do see that you have reached out to us in emails, I would strongly recommend that you call in for live agent support as they will have more tools available to them to assist you.