Can the Amp and Connect be told to output mono rather than stereo? Using with mono ceiling speakers in bathroom and kitchen.

• 16 November 2012
  • 95 replies

Userlevel 1
Single ceiling speakers (already bought) being used in the bathroom and kitchen. I need to sum the stereo signal for those, as I listen to a lot of soul which is 'dual mono' i.e. drums on left, everything else on right. Can the output be set to mono?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

95 replies

I had a follow up email, pasted here, from Sonos support UK:

Thanks for calling in today. As discussed, we do not recommend using the Amp in Single Mono as it could potentially shorten the lifespan of the unit. I will however pass on your feedback to the development team, as the more people that get behind this request - the more likely it is to be implemented.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to reply to this email. If you need to call back in regarding this issue, please quote the case number found at the bottom of this email.

Kind Regards,
John P
Badge +1
SONOS SOLVED THE MONO ISSUE!!!

The new Sonos Amp says this in its Specs: "Speaker output connections: Banana plugs (2) capable of stereo or dual mono sound." https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/amp.html (click the link and then "Specs")

Yes! Finally a solution!

Mahalo to all who helped Sonos understand the need for mono!
Aloha!

Excuse my ignorance but does Dual Mono mean that you cannot drive just one mono speaker from the new Amp? I am one of the many many people who has single, mono speakers in a variety of bathrooms and I was just about to purchase a bunch of Sonos kit to drive them but if the new Amp can't drive a single monos speaker I'll have to use another manufacturer's solution. Thanks in advance!

No, it would be able to do that. Both the Left and Right speaker ports on the amp will produce the same mono channel. If you only want one mono speaker, than you only would connect a single side.

I would note though that you might want to consider using a single amp for two or more bathrooms, if you are ok with them having the source and adding external volume controls. Alternatively, sticking with the single speaker per amp plan, I'd consider getting stereo input ceiling speakers.

But would that not eventually blow the channel to which you had not connected a speaker?

I don't see any requirements from Sonos that you have to use both Mono outputs.

It says in the spec 'dual mono' which seems to imply that it needs to drive two speakers, one on each channel, both receiving a mono signal so they can go in separate rooms. So I called Sonos support and asked them. They put me through to a tech guy who went off and did some research and came back and said, and I quote, "You can do it* but I wouldn't recommend it because it might shorten the life of the amp."

* 'it' being to wire one channel of the amp only, to one mono speaker, and set the amp to mono. In other words the spec does indeed mean 'dual mono' i.e. it is intended that each channel of the amp is wired to a separate speaker but the same signal is sent to both.

SO it seems that Sonos still has no solution to this. I'm going elsewhere: after having been an early adopter of Sonos and having installed over fifteen units in various places, and with a renovation project requiring another thirteen, I am no longer able to make their system work for me...

"dual mono sound" didn't imply to me that you HAVE to connect 2 speakers. The same Sonos Amp specs also say "Dual Ethernet ports" and you don't HAVE to use both Ethernet ports. Maybe Sonos used poor wording in their specs and it should be edited, or maybe they didn't. I'll reach out to my Sonos Rep and let them dig around in Sonos to see if they get the same answer you got. I hope that tech guy you spoke to is wrong. If it turns-out that you HAVE to install at least 2 mono speakers, that will limit my installs also.
BTW, what is the name of that tech guy at Sonos you spoke to (I want to make sure my Rep at Sonos talks to someone else...Tier 2 or higher)?
Mahalo

The new Sonos Amp says this in its Specs: "Speaker output connections: Banana plugs (2) capable of stereo or dual mono sound." https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/amp.html (click the link and then "Specs")

Yes! Finally a solution!

Aloha!

Excuse my ignorance but does Dual Mono mean that you cannot drive just one mono speaker from the new Amp? I am one of the many many people who has single, mono speakers in a variety of bathrooms and I was just about to purchase a bunch of Sonos kit to drive them but if the new Amp can't drive a single monos speaker I'll have to use another manufacturer's solution. Thanks in advance!

No, it would be able to do that. Both the Left and Right speaker ports on the amp will produce the same mono channel. If you only want one mono speaker, than you only would connect a single side.

I would note though that you might want to consider using a single amp for two or more bathrooms, if you are ok with them having the source and adding external volume controls. Alternatively, sticking with the single speaker per amp plan, I'd consider getting stereo input ceiling speakers.

But would that not eventually blow the channel to which you had not connected a speaker?

It says in the spec 'dual mono' which seems to imply that it needs to drive two speakers, one on each channel, both receiving a mono signal so they can go in separate rooms. So I called Sonos support and asked them. They put me through to a tech guy who went off and did some research and came back and said, and I quote, "You can do it* but I wouldn't recommend it because it might shorten the life of the amp."

* 'it' being to wire one channel of the amp only, to one mono speaker, and set the amp to mono. In other words the spec does indeed mean 'dual mono' i.e. it is intended that each channel of the amp is wired to a separate speaker but the same signal is sent to both.

SO it seems that Sonos still has no solution to this. I'm going elsewhere: after having been an early adopter of Sonos and having installed over fifteen units in various places, and with a renovation project requiring another thirteen, I am no longer able to make their system work for me...
Badge +1

Yes! Finally a solution!

Aloha!

Yes! Finally a solution!

Aloha!

Yes! Finally a solution!

Aloha!

Yes! Finally a solution!

Aloha!

Badge +1

Yes! Finally a solution!

Aloha!
Badge +1
Which brings us back to my earlier suggestion above, a Connect and external amp that can mix the Stereo input to mono for the speaker(s.)

Yes, that is one solution to make the existing Sonos mono. But the majority of us here are making our case to Sonos to put the Mono functionality in their Amps so that we don't have to buy 3rd-party equipment and can keep the configuration simple (less equipment).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Which brings us back to my earlier suggestion above, a Connect and external amp that can mix the Stereo input to mono for the speaker(s.)
Badge +1

I imagine they don't allow it because installers would be using a single Connect:Amp with mono speakers to cover four rooms, instead of using two Connect:Amps. Sonos has never made it easy to cut corners, for instance, there have never been headphone jacks on units lower in price than the Connect.

Only if the home owner wanted the same volume in these 4 rooms or wanted to use antiquated in-wall volume controllers. 4 Connect Amps would be the solution in your scenario, so that the home owner could easily control the volume of each of the 4 rooms through the Sonos App.
It is not about cutting corners. It is about doing what the home owner wants or, in old construction, what we can with what we are given to work with.
Badge +1
Sigh.

If driving a single speaker from a Connect:Amp is all you want, maybe you "installers" should read up on a little thing called a single point stereo speaker.

Single Point Stereo Speakers can be a solution, like in new construction (I'm doing a house now with SPSS in 2 different small rooms, each with their own Connect Amp.). But SPSS require 4-conductor wire (left and right channels). Very rarely (never) do you find 4-conductor wire ran to a "single point" in old construction (I've never seen it in any of the houses I've worked on.). Mono is the answer.
Stop repeating your same drivel, it doesn't apply here where people are looking for a solid solution.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The one thing I don't like about my Gen 2 Play 5 is the missing headphone jack, I didn't do my homework and bought it instead of finding a Gen 1 that had the jack. I guess it is good business to remove rarely used features but it is frustrating.

If I was an installer I'd just specify a Connect and add an external amp that had a stereo to mono switch.
Seems strange that Sonos can do mono for play 1, One and 3 speakers but can't push it to the Connect and Amp lines too.

If I was the Community manager I'd ask someone at the next staff meeting about that.

Of course after a few questions like that I'd probably be as unwelcome at Sonos meetings as I was at my old job.

I imagine they don't allow it because installers would be using a single Connect:Amp with mono speakers to cover four rooms, instead of using two Connect:Amps. Sonos has never made it easy to cut corners, for instance, there have never been headphone jacks on units lower in price than the Connect.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Seems strange that Sonos can do mono for play 1, One and 3 speakers but can't push it to the Connect and Amp lines too.

If I was the Community manager I'd ask someone at the next staff meeting about that.

Of course after a few questions like that I'd probably be as unwelcome at Sonos meetings as I was at my old job.
People have been asking for this since the very first ZP100 and there has never been a hint that mono output is coming. Given this, my advice about reading up on a little thing called a single point stereo speaker still applies.
You resurrected a 10 month long dead thread for that? Business must be bad. :?

Not at all. I resurrected it because I just ran across a situation where I have a budget-minded client where this situation applies and had to reach out to Sonos to find out this is the case. AND it's been out there this long ..still unresolved.
Just trying to call Sonos' attention back to it. So thanks for noticing!
You resurrected a 10 month long dead thread for that? Business must be bad. :?
Sigh.

If driving a single speaker from a Connect:Amp is all you want, maybe you "installers" should read up on a little thing called a single point stereo speaker.

We "installers" all know (for the most part) exactly what a SST or "single point stereo" speaker is. We also know that it typically cost twice what a standard speaker costs. There are many spaces where only 1 speaker can fit (bath) and the customer is budget-conscience (thus using Sonos).

Additionally we also know that unless a space is a "critical listening space" (i.e. the listener will be equidistant from each speaker, stereo is not a good fit for a distributed audio system. Background music should be the same experience for each person in the room if that's the intended application. Unless you don't mind the vocals coming out over your guest's head while the rhythm guitar (for example) is coming from the speaker over your's.

This is precisely why MOST manufacturers of audio distribution amplifiers offer an option to either set mono or bridge mono.

School's out.
Badge
Sigh.

I am not an installer. One's ability as an audiophile has nothing to do with this simple age old functionality. I have two outdoor speakers, 2 in the den, 2 in living room, one in bathroom, and one in bedroom. I use monoprice speaker selector switch. No, I do not want to change all speakers over a switchable output feature.
I found this. Seems like it will work.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/pcDI--whirlwind-pcdi-2-channel-passive-a-v-direct-box
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XRF105--hosa-xrf105-5-foot
Sigh.

Badge +1
The big picture: The need for Mono isn't about the number of Sonos Connect:Amps, but rather the number of speakers in a room and their configuration.
Badge +1

I currently live in a condo rental with in ceiling speakers. One in bathroom, one in bedroom. I also have two small outdoor speakers not facing in the same direction on my patio. I have four reasons why a 4-Ohm stable amp can drive 4 speakers (8-Ohm each) with mono sound. So now I should replace 4 speakers in my rental due to a signal output setting?

I'm not sure what you want me to say. Anecdotal stories about your personal circumstances are not applicable to corporate decisions on how to maximize profits. Fact is, if Sonos allowed mono output, every installer in the world would cut costs by using a single Connect:Amp to drive 4 mono speakers in separate rooms instead of 2 Connect:Amps. Your situation doesn't change that fact.

Sorry jgatie, but you are incorrect. Those of us who are installers would never use "a single Connect:Amp to drive 4 mono speakers in separate rooms instead of 2 Connect:Amps". Why, because separate rooms each need their volume controlled separately. It's old school to use a physical volume control and all my customers want to control the volume of each room through the Sonos App. So, like others that have posted here, having a Mono option would be extremely useful.
Regarding corporate decisions based off money: NOT adding the Mono feature is driving customers and installers to buy other solutions that are NOT Sonos products, so...
Aloha

By all means I am not trying to debate you or anyone else who may try to justify lack of mono function. I understand your point about "corporate greed" and selling more units. In your example, 2 Connect:Amps are NOT a solution. Even buying a dedicated amp for each speaker is not a solution, so more Connect:Amps do not help me get full sound for each zone.

Again, I'm not sure what you want me to say. Your particular circumstances are unfortunate.

By the way, one person's "corporate greed" is another person's "corporate survival". Sonos employs people too. I hear they even pay them a salary.