Can the Amp and Connect be told to output mono rather than stereo? Using with mono ceiling speakers in bathroom and kitchen.

• 16 November 2012
  • 95 replies

Userlevel 1
Single ceiling speakers (already bought) being used in the bathroom and kitchen. I need to sum the stereo signal for those, as I listen to a lot of soul which is 'dual mono' i.e. drums on left, everything else on right. Can the output be set to mono?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

95 replies

Userlevel 1
I am completely bummed out that MONO in not offered. Just bought a SONOS AMP for my backyard. Never bothered to check it MONO was an option, because I took for granite that SONOS has considered just about everything. Apparently this is virgin ground for SONOS. PLEASE CONSIDER THIS FOR YOUR OUTDOOR USERS.
Userlevel 1
Great idea,A Mono Option! I went to Sonos to limit the number of components, not increase them. Sonos, any progress?
Sigh.

If driving a single speaker from a Connect:Amp is all you want, maybe you "installers" should read up on a little thing called a single point stereo speaker.

We "installers" all know (for the most part) exactly what a SST or "single point stereo" speaker is. We also know that it typically cost twice what a standard speaker costs. There are many spaces where only 1 speaker can fit (bath) and the customer is budget-conscience (thus using Sonos).

Additionally we also know that unless a space is a "critical listening space" (i.e. the listener will be equidistant from each speaker, stereo is not a good fit for a distributed audio system. Background music should be the same experience for each person in the room if that's the intended application. Unless you don't mind the vocals coming out over your guest's head while the rhythm guitar (for example) is coming from the speaker over your's.

This is precisely why MOST manufacturers of audio distribution amplifiers offer an option to either set mono or bridge mono.

School's out.
Badge
This would be helpful for a back yard as well. You don't want the stereo separation in outdoor areas.
It would also be perfect if one could use both outputs on a CONNECT:AMP as separate channels. I.e. 2 mono speakers controlled separately on the controller.
I too have a large Sonos system and need to power outdoor speakers with a mono feed. Please add this to the feature set of the Connect:AMP, and my Sonos satisfaction will remain high.
Same here ... I'm using Sonos Amp for ceiling speakers in small rooms .... The rooms have a single speaker and a single run of speaker wire prior to constructions .. I am now looking at the audioplex's solution/transformer (kind of afraid to use it, since it's not even supported and I don't want to blow the sonos amp), but if the sonos amp was able to output in mono it wouldn't be this complicated. WHY IS THIS OPTION MISSING??? Just a toggle for mono/stereo in the EQ menu or something simple like that. I also have the same issue for outdoor speakers. PLEASE SONOS!! PLEASE!
Badge
I have silently, patiently waited for a mono model for Connect:Amp for years. But no more! As I see it mono is of benefit for whole home audio - but also commercial installations. If mono option in the software took the form of L+R, L, or R mono options, it could increase Sonos sales because 2 Connect:Amps could be sold for a bi-amped 'wireless speaker' solution.... Dynaudio appears to be offering a similar concept integrated into some of their speakers but without any of the benefits that a Sonos system offers. I wonder if they actually sell any - is there a market for it? If it really is just software, it wouldn't cost Sonos very much to find out.
SONOS SOLVED THE MONO ISSUE!!!

The new Sonos Amp says this in its Specs: "Speaker output connections: Banana plugs (2) capable of stereo or dual mono sound." https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/amp.html (click the link and then "Specs")

Yes! Finally a solution!

Mahalo to all who helped Sonos understand the need for mono!
Aloha!

Excuse my ignorance but does Dual Mono mean that you cannot drive just one mono speaker from the new Amp? I am one of the many many people who has single, mono speakers in a variety of bathrooms and I was just about to purchase a bunch of Sonos kit to drive them but if the new Amp can't drive a single monos speaker I'll have to use another manufacturer's solution. Thanks in advance!

No, it would be able to do that. Both the Left and Right speaker ports on the amp will produce the same mono channel. If you only want one mono speaker, than you only would connect a single side.

I would note though that you might want to consider using a single amp for two or more bathrooms, if you are ok with them having the source and adding external volume controls. Alternatively, sticking with the single speaker per amp plan, I'd consider getting stereo input ceiling speakers.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hello, The SONOS Connect and Connect Amps are stereo units. There is no setting in SONOS to currently change that. I am going to move this Questions to the Share an Idea sections. It will get submitted as a feature request for SONOS to output in Mono. This will allow other users to vote on the idea and submit this to the SONOS Product Development Team. You can try to convert the stereo signal to mono if you like, but it would not be supported. You can also check the unsupported section I searched online quickly and found this: http://www.hometech.com/hts/products/audio/converters/at-mm300.html?key=A27&pk_kwd=AT-MM300&gclid=CMCCobTZ97MCFYZM4Aod4F4AWQ
I'm installing a big Sonos system in a friend's house. Without a mono option the wiring is far more complicated: stereo input ceiling speakers, local impedance matching volume switches, what a nightmare. Thanks for skipping the obvious Sonos. Same camp as Mr. Olson, took it for granted that ceiling speakers and whole house audio would be familiar territory for these guys. With odd rooms and hallways and bathrooms, etc. why would they assume stereo is appropriate everywhere all the time? Odd...
Userlevel 1
I'm installing a big Sonos system in a friend's house. Without a mono option the wiring is far more complicated: stereo input ceiling speakers, local impedance matching volume switches, what a nightmare. Thanks for skipping the obvious Sonos. Same camp as Mr. Olson, took it for granted that ceiling speakers and whole house audio would be familiar territory for these guys. With odd rooms and hallways and bathrooms, etc. why would they assume stereo is appropriate everywhere all the time? Odd...
"RCA Y cables to make it mono".... LOL... Good way to damage your unit. Sonos needs to make mono available in their software. It's that simple. All these other "solutions" are half-baked and a source of future problems, never mind extra cost. I can't believe there isn't even a reply from someone at sonos on this thread. Especially with at least two dealers chiming in.
Userlevel 1
I got it from science and engineering. Without proper resistors in place you should never sum an output using a Y. Only a split. I've been installing audio for over 23 years and am a Sonos dealer, and can tell you not a single person in the industry with any knowledge would do this. I absolutely do not recommend it, if you don't believe me call Sonos tech support and ask. You will damage the I/O stages of the device. If you want to do it then use resistors and make a proper cable. You can YouTube it. Please be careful of giving advice that can damage people's components.
100% Agreed. This could likely be easily accomplished in firmware/software. Why no mono option? Who knows? Sonos? Please?
After 3 years the answers is still No. Why ? Some may ask , well it's very simple actually. Design you audio system correctly and do not ask Sonos to change their product due to your poor choices of equipment and lack of knowlegde. Anyone here who is complaining about Mono for outdoors. The correct solution is to use a connect preamp and a amplifier which can supports mono output if that's what you desire. Furthermore Sonos amps arent very powerful and suck at driving outdoor speakers in the first place. With regard to using the left output in an amplifier for one room and the right for another room. Are you people reading what you write? Your asking Sonos to basically make a 1 zone device 2 zones. It's so convoluted on many different levels. Basically because you guys are all cheap you want Sonos to reinvent the wheel for you. I'm no Sonos advocate but, they have a product for whatever you want to do. It's all there already. It's no wonder they wouldn't do this. Aside from possible limitations of design. Quit crying about this moronic feature and do it the correct way. If you want a robust outdoor speaker system your going to need amplification anyway. Get over it.
So you're saying we should buy additional devices to do something Sonos could do with literally a few minutes of work? Why? 
I agree with splitting left/right into different rooms being odd, but with most in-ceiling setups you want the option for summed mono. It's really not hard, and something any serious multi-room audio system should support.
Userlevel 1
After 3 years the answers is still No. Why ? Some may ask , well it's very simple actually. Design you audio system correctly and do not ask Sonos to change their product due to your poor choices of equipment and lack of knowlegde. Anyone here who is complaining about Mono for outdoors. The correct solution is to use a connect preamp and a amplifier which can supports mono output if that's what you desire. Furthermore Sonos amps arent very powerful and suck at driving outdoor speakers in the first place. With regard to using the left output in an amplifier for one room and the right for another room. Are you people reading what you write? Your asking Sonos to basically make a 1 zone device 2 zones. It's so convoluted on many different levels. Basically because you guys are all cheap you want Sonos to reinvent the wheel for you. I'm no Sonos advocate but, they have a product for whatever you want to do. It's all there already. It's no wonder they wouldn't do this. Aside from possible limitations of design. Quit crying about this moronic feature and do it the correct way. If you want a robust outdoor speaker system your going to need amplification anyway. Get over it.
MB... Easy there buddy. I'm a professional of this industry for 30 years. I know about designing AV systems. It's not a "poor choice of equipment or lack of knowledge" although I did point out that some of these requests are not logical. Here is the bottom line: the lack of mono ability on connects is an oversight. And it isn't being addressed. I know one of the founders of Sonos and will get in touch with him directky and bring up the issue. Clearly it's going nowhere posted here. Not a single reply from anyone at Sonos.
Please add mono!
It's pretty obvious that SONOS doesn't care about its customer one little bit. 3 years, and this glaring issue has still not been fixed. What's the point of this forum if the developers don't care?
In the industry, many times one comes up against a wiring mistake i.e. 2 conductor in wall wire and a 0ne point stereo speaker is needed. We have to be problem solvers for these clients who tried to be wired up by the alarm guy or electrician to save a few bucks! Too late to pass additional wires. Sonos Stereo to MONO is the solution.
Gotta get done in the Sonos software domain. Sonos engineer-programmers, are you listening.
Good luck.
Isadore Nudell
Badge
It's pretty obvious that SONOS doesn't care about its customer one little bit. 3 years, and this glaring issue has still not been fixed. What's the point of this forum if the developers don't care?

They work as designed, so there is nothing to "fix". If you want a single speaker in a room, buy a single speaker with stereo input. That is what they are made for.

I disagree. Having mono output makes it a more versatile amp. Connect amp is a great product. It's bridgeable to 4 speakers. Reading other posts, mono is highly desired by many. I'm not looking to debate others, just hoping to have this feature added.
Badge

I currently live in a condo rental with in ceiling speakers. One in bathroom, one in bedroom. I also have two small outdoor speakers not facing in the same direction on my patio. I have four reasons why a 4-Ohm stable amp can drive 4 speakers (8-Ohm each) with mono sound. So now I should replace 4 speakers in my rental due to a signal output setting?

I'm not sure what you want me to say. Anecdotal stories about your personal circumstances are not applicable to corporate decisions on how to maximize profits. Fact is, if Sonos allowed mono output, every installer in the world would cut costs by using a single Connect:Amp to drive 4 mono speakers in separate rooms instead of 2 Connect:Amps. Your situation doesn't change that fact.

By all means I am not trying to debate you or anyone else who may try to justify lack of mono function. I understand your point about "corporate greed" and selling more units. In your example, 2 Connect:Amps are NOT a solution. Even buying a dedicated amp for each speaker is not a solution, so more Connect:Amps do not help me get full sound for each zone.
Badge +1

I currently live in a condo rental with in ceiling speakers. One in bathroom, one in bedroom. I also have two small outdoor speakers not facing in the same direction on my patio. I have four reasons why a 4-Ohm stable amp can drive 4 speakers (8-Ohm each) with mono sound. So now I should replace 4 speakers in my rental due to a signal output setting?

I'm not sure what you want me to say. Anecdotal stories about your personal circumstances are not applicable to corporate decisions on how to maximize profits. Fact is, if Sonos allowed mono output, every installer in the world would cut costs by using a single Connect:Amp to drive 4 mono speakers in separate rooms instead of 2 Connect:Amps. Your situation doesn't change that fact.

Sorry jgatie, but you are incorrect. Those of us who are installers would never use "a single Connect:Amp to drive 4 mono speakers in separate rooms instead of 2 Connect:Amps". Why, because separate rooms each need their volume controlled separately. It's old school to use a physical volume control and all my customers want to control the volume of each room through the Sonos App. So, like others that have posted here, having a Mono option would be extremely useful.
Regarding corporate decisions based off money: NOT adding the Mono feature is driving customers and installers to buy other solutions that are NOT Sonos products, so...
Aloha
Badge +1
The big picture: The need for Mono isn't about the number of Sonos Connect:Amps, but rather the number of speakers in a room and their configuration.
Badge
Sigh.

If driving a single speaker from a Connect:Amp is all you want, maybe you "installers" should read up on a little thing called a single point stereo speaker.

I am not an installer. One's ability as an audiophile has nothing to do with this simple age old functionality. I have two outdoor speakers, 2 in the den, 2 in living room, one in bathroom, and one in bedroom. I use monoprice speaker selector switch. No, I do not want to change all speakers over a switchable output feature.