Answered

Can I use Port to play music on S1 system via AirPlay 2?

• 20 October 2022
  • 3 replies

I have a Gen 1 Play 5, Play 1, Boost and Connect.  I know all about the disappearing “on this iphone” from a couple years ago and haven’t used my system much since.  However, I saw the Port and was wondering if I can use that to replace my connect, run it with S1, and use AirPlay 2 to play music to the rest of my speakers?  Essentially, a work around to make it work like before?  I tried searching but didn’t find much.

icon

Best answer by John B 20 October 2022, 09:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

You could indeed.  Or you could keep the Connect and buy a Sonos One.  (Not a One SL as this is incompatible with S1.)

I would also consider replacing your Play:5 (gen 1) with a used Play:5 (gen 2).  The gen 2 is hugely superior to the gen 1 IMO.  You would not get as big a gain by swapping the Connect for a Port/

Great, thank you.  I might look into it, what’s so better about the Gen 2?  Also, if I got the Port, could I still play music on the Play 5 Gen 1 but not the Port or Play 1 via AirPlay 2?  I know the Play 5 doesn’t have AirPlay but if it’s linked to the same system the Port is connected to since I still want to keep my zones, if that makes sense.

@JohnnyUte

Sorry I missed your reply until now.  The sound is in a different league on the Play:5 gen 2.  Much better bass and richer and more powerful by some way.

You could indeed use Airplay on any speaker in your system by grouping to the Airplay-compatible Sonos device.  if you don’t want the sound to play on the Airplay-compatible Sonos device you would just mute it.