Answered

Age of Sonos unit ZP90

• 10 July 2019
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
I'm selling a pre-owned ZP90 on eBay (in order upgrade to Connect:Amp) and a prospective purchaser is asking the age of the unit. Can I tell the age of my Sonos unit by the serial number or hardware version?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 11 July 2019, 01:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@jptyson, calling the team with the serial number can help get some more details. An easy way to check the age is by looking at 4 digits before the serial number, those are the year and month that the unit was manufactured.

Also, https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/products/ will show you the most recent registration for your devices.
Or just say it is around ten years old. More precision than that isn't meaningful in the context.
Not sure if this helps, but it it is truly a ZP80 and not a Connect, it was manufactured between 2008 and 2013. However, the change to the Connect is simply a rebadging, and the same basic design is used today (there may have been some tweaks, including the infamous screwing with bit-perfect on the later Connects), but it is the same basic unit.

Perhaps a Sonos employee can dig further into the S/N or hardware #.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'd suggest contacting Sonos support, several options on the contact page and give them the MAC / serial number to see if they can give you the answer. They did that for me many years ago on a CR-100 issue. These community forums aren't the best method for interacting with the support folks.
Submit a Diagnostic. This will pin down exactly which hardware version you have and a range of dates. I know that SONOS could pull up the manufacturing test data for each unit, but I don't know if this is available to the support staff. Most of the serial number is the unit's MAC address and this is easily recognizable. If your unit appears to have a much longer serial number, the MAC address will be at the trailing end and the leading digits are a manufacturing date code.

Edit: Ryan types faster.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Handy to know, looks like my closest ZP-80 was made 0606 while my newest Play 1 was born on 1712, numbers which I never recognized as a date before.
Userlevel 2
Thanks all, looks like it was 'born' in December 2010!