Question

ZP90 and ZP120 wireless conection setup

• 4 January 2020
  • 5 replies

I have a zp90 and zp120 that I had set up in my old house  that used to be used in conjunction with the BR 100 ridge unit until it failed. Is there a way of setting up the zp120 and zp90 without the bridge unit?

also, does the zp units have wireless / Bluetooth capabilities to connect to speakers?

I am trying to recommission the system in time for a party in a couple of weeks and would appreciate some guidance on this please.

many thanks

Michael

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Just plug in either device into your router with an Ethernet cable. You can then choose to set them up as wireless, if you’d like, with instructions here: standard and boost modes.

Not sure I understand your second question, but there is no Bluetooth system in either of those devices. In fact, the only speaker Sonos makes with a Bluetooth is the Move. Other, newer devices than yours, have Bluetooth Low Energy, a completely different system than regular Bluetooth, used for setup purposes only. 

Beware of party use, lots of humans in a space absorb a lot of the Wi-Fi signal. For that kind of use, there would be a definite advantage to wiring both devices to your router with Ethernet cables as a precaution. You don’t want to find out there’s an issue mid way through the party....

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Lowest hassle might be to buy a Boost. Wire one of the ZPs, open your controller and then power on the Boost. Follow the instructions to add the Boost to your system.

No real gain from that if there is no issue with wiring either ZP,

The concern I mentioned with Wi-Fi also applies to the BOOST, it is not a panacea. 

Thanks for your replies guys. Is the boost the same as the connect and what are the advantages of these compared to a bridge. I have just seen a new bridge for sale for £15 20 miles away. Not sure to get that or a boost. If I use either of my my ZP units to connect to my router, it seems an expensive way to get the system running and a waste of the unit. It would be great if I knew someone local to me to check and see where the problem lies in the system I have.

The BOOST is an updated BRIDGE, with a better power supply, better radio noise rejection, and SonosNet 2.0. Sonos has sent an email to users of the BRIDGE recommending that they retire them, and either upgrade to the BOOST, or wire another Sonos device, since they all have the capability to act as a BOOST at this point.

The CONNECT is a device designed to attach to an existing receiver, to bring the Sonos ecosystem to that receiver and attached devices. 

I would be happy to come look at your system, you would just need to pay for airfare from Austin, Texas, rental car, and a hotel room in your area. ;)