Question

Using Sonos connect instead of wired speakers in an old audio system

• 5 December 2017
  • 13 replies

I've purchased a Sonos Connect with the intention of using it to pipe music from my old stereo amplifier to my relatively new Sonos system which is part of my TV system and not connected in any way at all to my old stereo music system. I have discarded my old wired speakers. My simple question is :- do I simply run the analogue stereo wires from my amplfiier directly to Sonos Connect or am I missing something obvious or fatal? Please keep your answer in simple language. I don't want to blow up my Sonos Connect with too great an input.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

I assume you have more than one source connected to the stereo amp; just one could be wired to the Connect directly eliminating the amp.

To use the amp just as a switcher for more than one source, it needs to have audio line output sockets, and preferably those that are not volume controlled. In some cases, the amp does not even have to be on for these to work. You would then run wires from these line out sockets to the input jacks on the Connect.
Yes, Kumar, I have a CD player, tuner, and cassette player, and turntable all attached! However, I don't appear to have a "line out" on the amplifier. It's an (old) Yamaha ax592 which is otherwise excellent. I fear (another) purchase coming on?
Ps
THanks
Could I use the headphone jack instead as output? It has a 3.5 mm jack. The Sonos Connect alternative wiring option is a 3.5 mm jack (from amplifier) to 2x RCA input on the Sonos?
Either of the two REC outs will serve. Wire to the line in on the Connect via RCA stereo cable.
The Yamaha is an excellent amp; I have a similar 497 doing duty hidden in a box supplied by a Connect, that I haven't even seen for a few years!
Thanks Kumar, but I can't find a REC output on either the back or the manual. Could it be called something else (less technical?). Vheers
Tape 1 Rec Out. The manual online for that amp shows this marked as such, as it does Tape 2 Rec Out as well.
https://jp.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/9/335629/AX-592_e.pdf
aha! Thank you for your tenacity, Kumar, I’ll look into it tomorrow and let you know.
Found it! I needed a Magnifying glass to see it on the booklet. Not as young as I used to be. Thanks again
Kumar. All done and working. Like you say, the amplifier is basically a switching device - hadn’t appreciated that until now. I’m now wondering why I bothered -the only amplifier input I use is the CD player. So I could have wired it directly to connect. Then again, I have a CD player on the main Sonos set up at the tv. Maybe if I ever use my vinyls again -and I havent done so in the last 30 years. Thanks for dragging me into the 21st century!
I’m now wondering why I bothered -the only amplifier input I use is the CD player. So I could have wired it directly to connect.
Quite. As I said earlier on this thread, but you responded by saying that you have 4 sources wired to the amp - where did three disappear to suddenly?!
The other three devices are still there, but, as I said, I really don't use them now.