Answered

Trade Up Offer

Badge +2

I have been putting this off for quite some time, so please excuse my ignorance since I have’t looked into this at all.

I received the email for the Trade-Up offer and apparently I have three Connects and one Play 5 that will not be compatible with S2.  I know that I will still be able to use everything the way that it is now, or use the Play One’s and Play 3 that I have that will be compatible with S2.  and keep others on S1.

The question I have is what features will S2 add that I would end up losing if I stayed with S1?  I’m just trying to justify the cost of replacing three connects.  Any advice would be appreciated.

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 4 May 2020, 19:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

The question I have is what features will S2 add that I would end up losing if I stayed with S1?  I’m just trying to justify the cost of replacing three connects.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Sonos hasn’t officially stated any new S2 features yet.  They have hinted at hi res audio, but not confirmed yet.  There isn’t any expiration date on your trade up discounts though, and you can migrate from S1 to S2 at anytime.  So the best thing to do is wait until you see features of S2 you want, and upgrade then.

So far, the only official information from Sonos about S1 and S2 are in the two FAQs they’ve posted, here and here.

Badge +2

Thank you!  That was another question I had, how long was the Trade-Up discount going to last.  If there is no expiration, then I guess I can always try the S2 on my compatible devices before making the decision to update.

If you do decide to update, the 30% off can be used on any device, or does it have to be the same device?  Can I trace in a Connect and get 30% off of a Playbar, Sub, or 5.1 Surround Set?  Of course the set is just wishful thinking.  Just not sure if it is same device or something of lesser value, or anything at all.

You don’t have to trade like-for-like, any single item in the store.  And yes, sets are considered single items.

There is no expiration date on the discount.

You can use the discount on any Sonos branded product you wish, including sets of speaker pairs or 5.1 setups.  I’m pretty sure the only items it does not apply to are the 3rd party turntable sets.  

Badge +2

So what happens to the devices that we are supposed to recycle?  Do they brick them or make them unusable in some way?  I would assume that they wouldn’t want you to continue using it or selling it online or something.

So what happens to the devices that we are supposed to recycle?  Do they brick them or make them unusable in some way?  I would assume that they wouldn’t want you to continue using it or selling it online or something.

The program used to require that the products be bricked and recycled, but that is no longer the case.  You can continue to use it in a S1 system, sell it, recycle it, whatever you wish.  My plan is to continue to use my Connect:amp as it’s own S1 system till it feels like the right time to upgrade.

Badge +2

Thank you for all the information.  I have purchased one Port just to check it out as a replacement for a Connect I have.  If I can use the old ones in a S1 capacity after replacing the ones I have, would make me a little more inclined to update the ones that I have if I can use the others in a limited capacity.

I also find it odd that I can’t seem to find anything about S2.  I can read all about the changes that are coming, and what we may expect, but no real features or reasons for me to upgrade.  So I think I agree with what you have already said.  I’m going to hold of on updating anything else until I know what those “features” are.