Splitting HDMI for sound?

• 19 December 2017
  • 15 replies

Badge
Hey. I need some advice, I have this TV: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XT9QLNQ/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3TYNOLTBFNN5I&colid=527E8ONLR9YZ&psc=1

Happy with it, but it only has one HDMI in. I want to get a Play:1 and possibly, somehow, split the HDMI going in (mainly from a PS4 by the way) to be able to split the audio into the line-in on the Play:1

Is this possible, if so, what do I need to do it? Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

What line in on the PLAY:1? As far as I'm aware, there is no such thing. In order to get sound from the TV in to the Sonos system, you need to use an optical connector to either a PLAYBASE or PLAYBAR. It's not clear from the pictures on Amazon or the description as to whether that TV has an optical output.

The other way to get stereo, not 5.1 from the TV is to use a CONNECT, and take some sort of line output from the TV connected to the RCA Analog inputs on the CONNECT. Again, I don't see anything in the description of that TV or the pictures that indicate that there's any analog outputs available. I did see in the "questions" a comment that it has 2 HDMI ports, though.
Hello everyone! Wanted to take on to this thread and pose a similar question. I have a Sonos connect setup on outdoor speakers. We will be streaming a live concert at our house this weekend for a party and would like to be able to pull the audio from the receiver to send to sonos to play outside while other people are watching inside on the tv through the speakers hooked up to the receiver.

Was thinking a hdmi splitter to connect between the receiver and the tv, once HDMI going to the TV and the other going to an HDMI audio extractor with a 3.5 mm output to go to the Sonos???

Thoughts on an easier solution?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Steve
Why use a splitter? The signal is already playing on the receiver, and your CONNECT is already hooked to the receiver? Why not just play the signal as normal?
Zone 2 for my Onkyo will only play analog content, not digital sources.
Wait. I was going to say that it made sense....

But I'm afraid I'm still confused. How is the TV set connected to the receiver? Is it an optical connection from the TV, or an HDMI connection? What is the CONNECT hooked up to on the receiver?

I guess what I don't understand is what the Zone 2 has to do with anything. While I understand it won't do digital source content, why isn't the CONNECT hooked up to the tape output on the back of the receiver?
Hi there, otterjoe. Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community. The PLAY:1 does not have a Line-In for TV. For a listing of the devices that support Line-In and a walkthrough of how to make that happen, check out this helpful article. The TV you linked only has HDMI and wouldn't be able to directly connect to either of our Home Theater products (PLAYBAR & PLAYBASE), as both use optical audio.

Perhaps some folks from the Community has some suggestions for possible solutions or workarounds?
Badge
Thanks both. I think perhaps I have assumed that this additional hole in the back of a Play:1 is a line-in port (see attached image)

If the only input on a Play:1 is the Ethernet or WiFi, is there some way of transmitting the sound from a device like a PS4 across it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That's a threaded hole and not a line-in.

There really is NO way to transmit/extract audio from a PS4 to a Play:1
Badge
That's a threaded hole and not a line-in.

There really is NO way to transmit/extract audio from a PS4 to a Play:1

Thanks for that clarification! What's the SONOS product I\d need to do just that, then?
Badge
It looks like the PLAY:5 has a line-in. I guess not the PLAY:3? (The ones designed for for home cinema are definitely out of my price range)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The Play 5 (Gen 1 and Gen 2) both have a line-in. There is a delay introduced into the audio when using Line-in/ It would be of the order of 70 ms which may or may not be bothersome for you.

Why wouldn't you just use the TV speakers?
Badge
The Play 5 (Gen 1 and Gen 2) both have a line-in. There is a delay introduced into the audio when using Line-in/ It would be of the order of 70 ms which may or may not be bothersome for you.

Why wouldn't you just use the TV speakers?

Thanks! I'll be considering a Play 5, then.

Because the Play 5 probably has much more awesome speaker quality, bass, all that? I use my PS4 for games but also as a media centre, it's got pretty much everything a SmartTV, AppleTV, Fire, whatever has. I have Netflix, NowTV, BBC iPlayer... etc. I just think it'd make this little TV which is fine for me have awesome sound for movies and stuff too!
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Just be aware that you may experience some lip sync delays between the audio and video.
Badge
Just be aware that you may experience some lip sync delays between the audio and video.

Thanks, maybe not worth it then, maybe just need to try and see it for myself before deciding which to get.
The nice thing about trying a PLAY:5 is that if it doesn't work for your TV use due to the delay (~70 ms and up, depending on settings), you can always use it as a normal streaming speaker elsewhere in your home. Not as easy to do with a CONNECT, which also has an analog in, but doesn't include a speaker. But I'd recommend saving up from the PLAYBAR or PLAYBASE. Hard to go wrong there, IMHO.