Question

Sony WH-1000XM4 Wifi Headphones & Connect Amp & TV

• 17 August 2020
  • 26 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Afternoon all, read few older posts on similar subject but I have a slightly different angle on the question I think.

Have a gym (in garage) with a Sonos Connect Amp, A Panasonic TV RCA linked to the Sonos & a pair of B&W 801’s which have done great service over the years when doing rowing etc.

But new neighbour objects to the noise … it is considerable in fairness and my choice in music is shall we say wide!

I need to start using some decent wireless headphones and these new Sony ones seem well regarded.

My question is how best to do in general? I use NAS fed FLAC files and are getting drawn into streaming services. The CA is RJ45 linked as is all my Sonos stuff. I also watch NAS stored video music/live using the AUX link and sometimes just TV.

Agree with older posts that I’d rather use proper speakers than headphones but the choice is not there this time. Don’t need any multi room on that part of my Sonos.

Never used any headphones before let alone wireless. Could use some advice how to integrate this into an otherwise nice room system,

Details on the Sony’s …..https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/sony-wh-1000xm4

Many thanks in advance

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The Sony is a bluetooth headphone. If you can play music from your NAS on your phone you’re fine.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

The Sony is a bluetooth headphone. If you can play music from your NAS on your phone you’re fine.

Hi 106, do you mean run Sonos on the phone or another tool?

Sonos does indeed connect to NAS and play from there. 

Would in an ideal world stick to the one tool (Sonos) if it’s possible

Thanks for the quick reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

No, with a tool like Qnap provides for my NAS (called Qfile).

If you really want to stay in the Sonos universe a Sonos Port (or Connect) and a wireless (not bluetooth) headphone would do the trick. If you want S2 software choose a Port or a Connect made in 2016 or later. I use a Sennheiser 180 RS (out of production) with my Connect.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

No, with a tool like Qnap provides for my NAS (called Qfile).

If you really want to stay in the Sonos universe a Sonos Port (or Connect) and a wireless (not bluetooth) headphone would do the trick. If you want S2 software choose a Port or a Connect made in 2016 or later. I use a Sennheiser 180 RS (out of production) with my Connect.

Yes I use QNAP and ironically I’m this very second installing a new QNAP, a TX453Be 10g NIC and 16gb memory and 36TB Raid 5 …. waited years upgrade this. 

Apols I’m a bit confused, why would a Sonos Port work over a Sonos Connect Amp work better? I’m misunderstanding something here. I know the old Play 5 (got two) have a headphone port from memory. But what makes the Connect an option over a CA?

Maybe I’m misreading your explanation. New territory this one :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I do not own a Connect Amp, but seem to remember is does not have an RCA out to connect a wireless headphone base station to. If I wrong in this assumption, you could connect the headphone base station to the RCA out of the Connect Amp.

Nice NAS set up by the way.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

I do not own a Connect Amp, but seem to remember is does not have an RCA out to connect a wireless headphone base station to. If I wrong in this assumption, you could connect the headphone base station to the RCA out of the Connect Amp.

Nice NAS set up by the way.

Yeah I got it off ebay and saved a packet, well under half price. Trouble being has taken months to find some new WD RED 12TB drives at a decent price. New they over £600 but have found three now off ebay for £250 each … still a lot and still missing the 4th drive but is enough. I’m just copying 12TB off my old TS410 (literally this second) which has done sterling work the last 10 years but very slow getting. Taking a time set up but looks promising.

What a good point … has RCA connections but not sure if is an output. Beginning to see what you mean now. Just checked and you absolutely right, no output. How frustrating.

In researching that, I read that Sonos were indeed developing their own headphones but that article was back in 2018. 

Frustrating but at least understand why that particular device problematic, thanks for explaining that.

And if I got a Port or even used the Play 5 with headphone output, what type of device would I need plug into that to make the wireless headphones a possibility? This sort of thing? ….. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Transmitter-Speaker-Headphone-Computer/dp/B074PLV4L5

Thanks again, slowly getting there knowledge wise. 

BTW, also a 106 driver but a rather more modest 1994 1.5D XND :grinning:

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Just been looking and you 100% right, the connect has an an optical output….

Or the new one ….

So would this be more the sort of thing ….

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Amplifier/dp/B07RFQYNJC/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=24GDK9AD4HPKA&dchild=1&keywords=optical+to+bluetooth+transmitter&qid=1597699864&s=electronics&sprefix=optical+to+blu%2Celectronics%2C154&sr=1-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzM0JYVDlPT0k3V0RUJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDI3MTk4MjAzVDVTRjdUVk9VTyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTA2NDUzM1ZKUVczMThBODlFUyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

A bluetooth transmitter might work. Since you’ve been looking at WhatHifi, they may have reviewed a bluetooth transmitter too. This transmitter needs an optical in which means you have to get a Connect, as it is the only Sonos device with an optical out (the Port has lost this function). A bluetooth transmitter with an RCA or digital coaxial connection would also make it possible to use a Port, a bluetooth transmitter with RCA can be connected to the Connect, the Port or the Play:5 Gen1.

You do not mention if you’re on S1 or S2 software. If your Connect Amp was produced before 2016 you’re stuck to S1, which means you can also buy an older Connect, made in the sam period as your Connect Amp. I see some complaints on this forum of Play:5 Gen1’s (the only Sonos speaker with a headphone jack) failing - you could be taking a risk going for this instead of a Port or Connect.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

A bluetooth transmitter might work. Since you’ve been looking at WhatHifi, they may have reviewed a bluetooth transmitter too. This transmitter needs an optical in which means you have to get a Connect, as it is the only Sonos device with an optical out (the Port has lost this function). A bluetooth transmitter with an RCA or digital coaxial connection would also make it possible to use a Port, a bluetooth transmitter with RCA can be connected to the Connect, the Port or the Play:5 Gen1.

You do not mention if you’re on S1 or S2 software. If your Connect Amp was produced before 2016 you’re stuck to S1, which means you can also buy an older Connect, made in the sam period as your Connect Amp. I see some complaints on this forum of Play:5 Gen1’s (the only Sonos speaker with a headphone jack) failing - you could be taking a risk going for this instead of a Port or Connect.

Hi again,, S1 at the moment but trying rationalise my gear to be ready for when S2 becomes more useful. Lucky I can move a good bit around, donate some to the son and only have to buy a couple of boxes to get to nearly full S2. More by luck than good judgement.

I do have a spare older S1 Connect and two older S1 Play 5's. Prefer keep the Play 5’s in place, only on bedroom duty but the S1 Connect I could free up easily enough. That looks like it should work fine.

But such a shame that there is not an amplified box that could both drive speakers and the Sony BT/wireless headphones. 

I’m sure there must be a reason but cannot say as I can think of it. Appears on the surface such a cheap add on to do as well.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

SONOS Port + bluetooth transmitter will work perfectly fine with your headphones :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So your set with the spare Connect and a bluetooth transmitter (preferably future proof, so with RCA)! Good luck!

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

SONOS Port + bluetooth transmitter will work perfectly fine with your headphones :)

Yeah and thinking on whilst a little overkill, I can keep the Sonos CA to the B&W’s and I have a spare RJ45 in there so the headphones will work there. A heavy solution but a solution all the same.

Thanks for the steer

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

So your set with the spare Connect and a bluetooth transmitter (preferably future proof, so with RCA)! Good luck!

Exactly that 106, it and in a strange way that works well as that is in fact the missing architecture links to get all my S1 stuff into the gym, and move all the others around plus one new Sonos Amp to ensure all other rooms will be S2.

And later on when funds allow and we get some genuine HD audio, a new Port for the gym.

Thanks for your guidance. Sometimes it’s the wood for the trees. You helped me steer to a solution that will definitely work. many thanks again

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Just in case anyone else interested in this type of solution, it appears some of the mid range bluetooth audio transmitters have quite a range.

This one ( Avantree Oasis Plus Certified aptX HD Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter Receiver for TV, Low Latency Wireless Audio Adapter for Headphone, Long Range, Voice Guide, Touch Screen, Splitter for Wire & Wirelessclaims 295ft.) claims quite a range

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Avantree-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Wireless-Black/dp/B07BQYYDNJ/ref=sr_1_12_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=bluetooth+audio+transmitter&qid=1597748212&sr=8-12-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyN0ZJUElWV1ZKODkzJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDAwODMxMlZVMVk2WVpDTVI2NiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDk0MDI4MzJZUVdUMUdUQTJEWSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

In theory (can’t say as I’ve used bluetooth a great deal) the Connect I’m thinking of (which feeds a Pioneer VSA-AX10i to outside garden speaker system) could connect to the Sony headphones in the gym? Is two rooms away, maybe 10-12 meters.

Interesting.

The Avantree Oasis Plus is a powerful transmitter. It can reach down one floor and through several walls, including a double-skin brick outside wall, even with aptX-HD.

However, I suggest researching an alternative to the WH-1000XM4. According to the Sony site it supports only SBC, AAC and LDAC. AAC is principally found in Apple devices, and LDAC in Androids. I’ve yet to encounter a standalone LDAC transmitter. This means the headphones would fall back to the thoroughly indifferent SBC on the Oasis Plus.

In any case, if video watching is included in the use cases you’d want aptX Low Latency, or perhaps aptX Adaptive.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

The Avantree Oasis Plus is a powerful transmitter. It can reach down one floor and through several walls, including a double-skin brick outside wall, even with aptX-HD.

However, I suggest researching an alternative to the WH-1000XM4. According to the Sony site it supports only SBC, AAC and LDAC. AAC is principally found in Apple devices, and LDAC in Androids. I’ve yet to encounter a standalone LDAC transmitter. This means the headphones would fall back to the thoroughly indifferent SBC on the Oasis Plus.

In any case, if video watching is included in the use cases you’d want aptX Low Latency, or perhaps aptX Adaptive.

Hi Ratty, long time no see.

You bring good news and bad news :-) ….good to hear the Avantree device has potential. I bought a similar branded and form device for a severely disabled relative who used it to connect to TV and headphones at night time with great effect.

Disappointing news on the Sony. It’s predecessor the WH-100XM3 and the new XM4 appear almost entirely to have stellar reviews and more than a match for Bose and the like. 

Apologies my detail understanding to that degree is limited. Does it mean it will not work or not work to it‘s potential?  I don’t have any Apple equipment only Android. I will do a little reading now on those formats to try to understand.

But thanks for advising. Don’t mind the spend but a frustrated spend no. So close yet so far :-) 

Apologies my detail understanding to that degree is limited. Does it mean it will not work or not work to it‘s potential?  I don’t have any Apple equipment only Android. I will do a little reading now on those formats to try to understand.

I do suggest you familiarise yourself with the quality and latency of the various Bluetooth audio codecs.

If you have an Android which offers LDAC you’ll get the best quality from the XM4 (or XM3), at least at short range where LDAC can exploit its maximum bitrate. Moreover the Android could well be able to lipsync the audio with the video by compensating for the known BT audio delay.

However with a transmitter such as the Avantree the XM4 would have to use the default SBC codec -- the one which originally earned BT a bit of a bad name for audio quality -- since that’s the only codec the TX and RX would have in common. As it happens the XM3 would fare a good deal better as both it and the Oasis Plus have aptX-HD (and aptX).

In neither case though would audio lipsync well with the picture on a separate TV. For that you’d need a lower latency codec. The Oasis Plus sports aptX Low Latency, but neither of those Sony models do.

Nice as the Sonys are, for your mixture of use cases you’d probably want to look for an alternative.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Yes I need do some reading for sure here.

Yes the phone is a brand new (in fact first ever smartphone) … I’ve moved from a 2003 Nokia E61 which has at last given up the ghost to a Sony Xperia 1 II which does boast what I think are some decent audio credentials. I’ve pasted a couple of links that I think read well and indeed does have LDAC….

https://audioxpress.com/news/sony-announces-new-flagship-xperia-1-ii-smartphone-with-360-reality-audio-decoding

https://www.sony.net/Products/LDAC/

Ironically it seems audio wise to be near top of the tree. And of course designed to go with the XM4’s ... just not Sonos alas this time

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

And now I’m wandering if (as 106 mentioned earlier) if I’d be better off using the same streaming services  (apps) and NAS to playback between Sony’s without over leveraging the Sonos just for the sake of Sonos.

I do want to keep the infrastructure simple and predictable.

On that same note, does anyone have word of this well reported but never confirmed Sonos headphone release? Well reported in 2018 but no idea if is still on any formal or informal road map. 

Have to say, would be even more interesting if there was a candle there

You could always bypass Sonos entirely for the headphones. That way the Xperia could feed the XM4s direct using LDAC, and there’d be no need to fuss with BT transmitter compatibility.

I don’t know about anything QNAP-specific but VLC for Android will play from network shares.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

You could always bypass Sonos entirely for the headphones. That way the Xperia could feed the XM4s direct using LDAC, and there’d be no need to fuss with BT transmitter compatibility.

I don’t know about anything QNAP-specific but VLC for Android will play from network shares.

Yes exactly that Ratty, have ordered the Sony XM4’s to BT link to the Sony Xperia 1 II (Didn’t realise it but after some morning reading, it appears be about the best smartphone playback device out there just now). Thanks for prompting that understanding and reading.

I just tried (in all of a rush) the Amazon HD Ultra HD and just from the phone, it sounds rather good.

Think these with the Xperia BT’ed to my C2 rower for meters could be a compelling solution.

Strange how we are wired to find a Sonos component in integrate almost by default? In my case anyway. Can’t quite work out if that’s rational or not.

Many thanks again for the sanity check. Will let you know how that config sounds using LDAC and HD sources.

I periodically use LDAC from a Samsung Tab to an Earstudio ES100 driving wired Sennheisers. Sounds pretty good.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

I periodically use LDAC from a Samsung Tab to an Earstudio ES100 driving wired Sennheisers. Sounds pretty good.

Have to say I never have used anything portable audio wise (bar a mid 80’s walkman) and I never really realised what I had bought in the Xperia 1 II. Seems an area of focus in Sony’s world this one I’ve stumbled into.

I had some RS175 Sennheisers a while back having said that for a poorly calculated venture into using bedroom TV. It never happened but the unit themselves seemed good.

I have a feeling this could be an excellent solution. Tomorrow will tell when the XM4’s a holder for the rower, a charger, right angle USB leads and some clipping arrive.

For the first time in a while, quite excited to be doing something new rather than just adding to the architecture! …. A Sonos rebel? For this week maybe :wink:

I will use Audible (loads catch up on …  a downside for Sonos, no-one here wants hear my books) and warming to Amazon HD although their search and reliability I find irksome. I keep playing with Tidal but had no real way until now to be objective about how it sounds. Maybe I get to find out shortly.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

I’m sure I’m last to the party info wise with this but all the same if useful for anyone else going through the same decision making as I have been. 

Sony XM4’s on Ebay early next year? :thinking:

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/sonos-wireless-headphones-3650210

Interestingly this Verge article quotes Bloomberg and makes reference to the Sony XM3’s in the devleopment scope of the potential Sonos ones.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/24/18195947/sonos-headphones-in-development-high-end-first-pair

https://www.businessinsider.com/sonos-making-over-ear-headphones-report-2019-1?r=US&IR=T

https://www.t3.com/news/if-sonos-is-making-headphones-bose-beats-and-bowers-should-be-bothered

All credible sources I believe. This will be an interesting one to watch. For many of the reasons Ratty mentions and are Sonos planning going outside to play???

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Funny, an old ZP100 could possible meet this need in one box, as it has speaker and line-level outputs.  Of course, it’s not S2 compatible.