Answered

Sonos Sub too far from AMP

Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 13 replies

I am wanting to set a sonos sub up in a room where i have ceiling speaker connected to a sonos Amp.

The Amp is in a closet where I have a “home run” setup.  It seems the Sub is too far from the AMP to get a signal from it in the room, I can move it to a different room, closer to the Amp and it will work.

Evidently the sub talks directly to whatever its paired to and not separately like other sonos speakers.

Is there any way to get a better signal to the Sub?  current setup is WM:1

thx

icon

Best answer by Jean C. 5 April 2020, 19:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

It might help to install a wired Boost or two. But at the moment we’re rather driving blind.

Go to Settings/System/About My System and note the IP address (x.x.x.x) of one of your players, then point a browser to http://x.x.x.x:1400/support/review (substituting the above IP). Click on Network Matrix, screenshot it and post the image. 

To recap: This method of connecting the Sub is decidedly not a supported option, but it may work under decent conditions. If your problems occur only when players are grouped there may be a better order in which to group them, so as to reduce overall 2.4GHz bandwidth demand.

Badge

Ratty - I set my sonos system up again in SonosNet mode and it just doesn’t play nicely w/ my orbi mesh system, it causes my phone to constantly lose wifi.  I also couldn’t get the sub to connect via 2.4ghz this go around, nor could i figure out how to screen shot the network matrix - it was larger than the screen, i assume i have too many sonos products to get it to fit.

Until sonos comes out w/ another option to pair the sub w/ a product(Amp) in my case when its further than same room I will just not be able to have a sub.

thanks again for the help

-mayo

I’m having the same trouble, I hooked up 6 AMPs in my rack hard wired to the network switch, the I try to sync a Sonos sub in my dining room about 100ft away and the sub won’t work, the I add a Sonos boost hard wired to the network which is like 10 ft from the sub and the problem stills.

i also have a sonos beam wired to the LAN paired to one amp (surround) and a sub (wireless) and it works fine.

Should I deseable the wifi of the Amp in cuestión, and. Should I keep the boost? 

i have good wifi signal with hard wire access points. 
Al the players are in the same floor, just the sub and the boost ate down stairs. 

thanks. 

Using a Boost is often a generally good thing, but it doesn’t address the fundamental issue, which is that the Amp is trying to communicate directly to the Sub using their 5GHz radios, and not using your WiFi for this data traffic.

‘Disable WiFi’ on the Amp actually turns off itswireless radio so if you turned that off you would have to wire the Amp, Sub and surrounds.  If you did that (if it is practical) then you might get the whole thing working.  I wouldn’t guarantee it though.

This was an incredibly helpful thread.  Yes, the Sonos private 5g wifi range between the sub and the amp has limits.  Had exact same issue: amp that drives my inhouse ceiling speakers is in a basement closet, and desired sub placement is in kitchen diagonally opposite upstairs.  Sub would connect if placed in a room almost above the basement closet, but not much further away than that. 

Fortunately, I had an unused cat5 internet jack in the kitchen.  Added a wired access point to that jack (which greatly improved kitchen wifi), but it still did not allow the Sub to connect to the downstairs amp in either amp-wired or amp-wireless mode.  The solution was to add a Sonos Boost, which is plugged into the kitchen access point. All set.  

Definitely some improvements needed in the set up instructions to help people with this fairly common scenario -- lots of ceiling speakers out there.  And, adding a sub where needed really adds tons of quality to those ceiling speakers!