Question

Sonos One Alexa in Bathroom

• 27 January 2018
  • 8 replies

Badge
Can I put a Sonos 1 Alexa speaker in my bathroom and connect it to the extractor power source? I have Sonos throughout the house and garden.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Yep, if you search you'll see replies from SONOS saying the 1 and ONE are moisture resistant. These type of brackets allows the speaker to be mounted upside down - which for Alexa is even more useful but either way the controls are reachable that way..
Badge
Tank you.
I did the exact same thing, works well. The SONOS logo is still readable upside down. Clever thinking on their part.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Yep, if you search you'll see replies from SONOS saying the 1 and ONE are moisture resistant. These type of brackets allows the speaker to be mounted upside down - which for Alexa is even more useful but either way the controls are reachable that way..

Nice. How is the power routed?
Hey I live in Bournemouth too! If I see a report in the Evening Echo of someone being electrocuted in their bathroom I shall know it's you.

Moisture resistance is one thing. Plugging something into a power source within a bathroom is something else. I wouldn't do it and I suspect it breaches UK electrical regulations.

Ask an electrician, not this forum. It might be fine but please make sure
Pretty much any house in the US constructed in the past 50 years or so has at least one outlet in the bathroom. Electric razors, toothbrushes, and yes, radios. I have an old Squeezebox Radio in mine; would replace it with a Sonos One but for the clock on the Radio. Bathroom and Kitchen outlets are required by code to have GFI. That, along with most appliances being double insulated these days, means there’s little danger of electrocution.
Justifiably or not, regulations in the UK are different from the US and from Continental Europe. If the OP is reassured by the risk of electrocution being low then so be it.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
As far as I understand it UK electrical regulations are broadly inline with Europe as most of these things are harmonised.

There is nothing barring electrical outlets in bathrooms. However electrical installations are controlled be a zonal system, in that an outlet has to be a certain distance from a water source. Most UK bathrooms don’t have outlets because they are simply not big enough to meet the requirements. If your bathroom is big enough, and it has a power point, then you are good to go. Of course this is a vast over simplication, and any electrical work has to be passed, so seek the guidance of a qualified electrocution. And no you cannot connect it to the extractor supply as this will be on the lighting circuit. A small load, such as a Sonos speaker will work, but it is not permissible. At all.

Andrew