Answered

Sonos Amp + Sonos Sub- Can I use Trueplay??

• 28 September 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge

I would iike to use my revel M106 speakers with the sonos amp. It is my understanding that I can’t use trueplay with non sonos speakers (someone correct me if I’m wrong). My question is using the sonos amp with my speakers and adding the sonos sub. Can I use trueplay in this scenario?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Paul A 28 September 2020, 20:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

As long as there are non-Sonos speakers in the equation (except very specific Sonance Architectural Series), you can not use TruePlay with a Sonos Amp. 

Badge

As long as there are non-Sonos speakers in the equation (except very specific Sonance Architectural Series), you can not use TruePlay with a Sonos Amp. 

Appreciate your response. The Sonos Amp is such a great product. It is too bad they neuter it by not allowing truplay with non-sonos speakers. Technologically, there is really no reason for this as trueplay can easilty detect the natural roll of of non-sonos speakers.

I guess in order to get any EQ into your system, you would need a sub with peq filters to apply some eq to room modes. Thanks again for your answer.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @dj7675.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand your point about trueplay with the Sonos Amp. I would like to help out a bit.

I agree with @Airgetlam. Trueplay is only available for the Sonos Amp for 2 reasons, Either the Sonance Architectural speakers are the speaker used on the Sonos Amp or the Sonos Amp is used as surround audio for a Home theater set up. Currently, that’s the only supported mode for the Sonos Amp to apply trueplay. We can always send this to our engineering team to take a look into as we value all feature requests and feedback.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Badge

Hi @dj7675.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand your point about trueplay with the Sonos Amp. I would like to help out a bit.

I agree with @Airgetlam. Trueplay is only available for the Sonos Amp for 2 reasons, Either the Sonance Architectural speakers are the speaker used on the Sonos Amp or the Sonos Amp is used as surround audio for a Home theater set up. Currently, that’s the only supported mode for the Sonos Amp to apply trueplay. We can always send this to our engineering team to take a look into as we value all feature requests and feedback.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Paul, please do pass this along. I know I am not alone in my thinking that the Sonos Amp is a great option for those not wanting a receiver in their living room etc, but want to use their own speakers. To not be able to use Trueplay really limits the product in my opinion. Thanks again for your reply and hopefully Sonos will reconsider the use of Trueplay with the Sonos amp at some point.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I know I am not alone in my thinking that the Sonos Amp is a great option for those not wanting a receiver in their living room etc, but want to use their own speakers. To not be able to use Trueplay really limits the product in my opinion.

I completely agree with you. I have poor room acoustics and Trueplay on my Sonos speakers (1 + 5) convinced me that I do not want a music system now without room correction. It makes a mediocre system good, and a good system even better.

The Sonos Amp is great modern amp and thoughtfully designed, particularly with HDMI and integration. It’s smart.

But I think Sonos is missing a trick here by leaving out (even basic) room correction on the Amp.

And especially when I can get Trueplay even with their most basic/cheapest speaker (One). Supporting Trueplay properly on the Amp would make it formidable and allow Sonos to encroach seriously onto the low/mid range (sub-$1000) integrated amp/AVR market, from the likes of NAD, Cambridge Audio, Marantz etc. because those hi-fi brands reserve decent correction (Dirac, full Audyssey etc) for their higher end models as differentiation (and particularly with decent power too, which the Amp already has). Personally, I’d be more than happy to pay a reasonable amount extra for this feature too - because the Amp itself is very convenient and correction is that good.