Sonos Amp Performance: Integration with 3rd Party and Sonos Branded Components

• 25 March 2019
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi All

Just want to share my opinion on the performance of the Sonos Amp when used with 3rd party speakers (Definitive Technology BP 20’s aka Def Techs) and a Sonos Sub. My original setup used a Definitive Technology 1500 Powered sub in conjunction with the Def Tech speakers.

As a bit of history I originally purchased the Def Tech components (for just over $2.5K-USD) in the early 90’s. Music was still available on vinyl. CD’s were just coming into their own. Streaming was unheard of.

I tell you this so that the younger audience will understand that the stress to deliver audio via an analog source was less taxing on the materials used in the construction of the tweeters, mid-range and low-end speaker components than the audio produced from today’s recordings and streams in full digital format. Subwoofers required manual tuning by ear to get the most out of them without blowing then up. 😛

Fast forward to today. The Sonos Amp had no trouble driving the Def Tech BP 20’s. However, when I added the Def Tech 1500 sub things changed; and not for the better. Music played wasn’t as clear and precise as I remembered it to be. Then again I do recall the sub having a slight hum when I resurrected it that I could not remedy. So in retro spec I may have damaged it back in the day. :8

I used Silverback brand speaker wire with banana plugs to attach the speakers and the same for the coaxial to the sub. My expectations were that the Def Tech setup with the Sonos AMP would sound on par; if not better than my Sonos Play 5’s (Gen2) in stereo pair with Sonos sub. Obviously that was not the case.:?

So I decided to introduce a Sonos Sub into the mix. My setup now consists of the wired Def Tech BP 20’s and Sonos Sub as a wireless component. Allowing the Sonos App to integrate the sub with the Def Tech BP 20’s, by setting the crossover and run test tones to optimize ALL speakers, made a night and day difference in audio quality. The highs, mids and lows are spot on coming through the Def Tech BP 20’s and the Sonos Sub does a superb job with the sub-sonic frequencies. *

I might dare say that music on the Def Tech BP 20’s with Sonos Amp may sound a tad better than with my Play 5 setup mentioned earlier. Bottom-line is that if you are wondering how the Sonos Amp will perform with your 3rd party speakers and Sonos Sub; at this junction I’d say you shouldn’t be concerned.

There are always exceptions to be sure...but for now without any irrefutable comments to the contrary I’d say go for it! ;)

* Test Tones emitted during setup is not a TruePlay tuning as all speakers used with the Sonos Amp would have to be Sonos certified. I say certified as Sonance speakers are not manufactured by Sonos; but contain the necessary components to allow them to utilize and benefit from TruePlay.

Cheers!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Badge +7
See, SHE didn't have to agree after all. You found a good use for a 4th Sonos Sub. 🆒
Userlevel 7
Hi spydrwebb

Didn't think anyone would remember that comment. At least it's not in the bedroom 😉