Sonos Amp + Dynaudio Special 40 performance?

• 1 July 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi all,

After selling my HT AVR, dolby atmos speakers, sub, cables etc i bougt a Sonos Arc and 2 One SL’s for surround. Also Sonos Sub is on the way. 

The TV and movies are okey with this set up, also i think that after my Sonos Sub arrives it will be better then my old HT system, besides physical heights but not a problem. 

Actually i liked the sound of Arc with OneSL’s when listening music. Only Arc is rubbish for music but with One SL’s it sounds good. The details are nice without sub and i know that after Sub every thing will change about mids, bass and details.

But i still have a pair of Dynaudio Special 40’s on sale and honestly i am missing them. And thinking not to sale them, buy  a Sonos Amp and drive the SP40’s with the Amp as a stereo set up. Also i could connect my turntable. 
As most of you know, Dynaudios loves continuous power. SP40’s are 6ohms and handle up to 200w. Sonos Amp gives 187.5w per channel at 6ohms. 

My main thought is, how will Amp perform with SP40’s? The sound stage, details etc?

I am searching forums, youtube about Amp but couldnt find much information  about stereo setup. 
just learned that Amp is playing a little bright. 

So what do you think about this stereo set up? Can any one give information to me whose is using Amp as stereo set up? Also if anyone knows about SP40’s?

Thanks  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I have a couple of Sonos amps and don’t have any issues with it at all.  More than meets my needs.  But I am using much more basic outdoor JBLs.   I can’t tell you whether your Dunaudio’s will get maximum performance paired with a Sonos amp.  You could give it a try and return the Amp if you aren’t happy with it.  You also get some other amp with a Sonos Port, if you want to integrate this system with other Sonos speakers.

My main thought is, how will Amp perform with SP40’s? The sound stage, details etc?

I am searching forums, youtube about Amp but couldnt find much information  about stereo setup. 
just learned that Amp is playing a little bright. 

By all accounts, the Sonos Amp does not have any sound signature that you need to worry about and is a genuine HiFi amp. At its price, it also needs to be so! I have two Connect Amps, the older version of the Amp, and I can testify to their being very much HiFi in behaviour.

For more on Dynaudios+Sonos, this recent thread on the same subject may be of interest:

https://en.community.sonos.com/what-to-get-228989/amp-or-port-plus-hi-fi-amp-to-connect-to-passive-speakers-6859795?postid=16545325#post16545325

Thank you so much. So i am going with Sonos Amp.

Let us know here how it works out.