Answered

Repurpose ZP100

• 27 March 2020
  • 5 replies

I have a ZP100 that no longer connects to network or at least does for 5 minutes (Sonos says it is toast). Has ANYONE seen a youtube video where the ZP100 is converted to be just an amplifier ?  The ZP100 is most analog of the amps, and it seems if you could fashion a volume control and some input switch, it would be possible. It would be a shame to waste an amplifier just because the network i/f is bad.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Sebastien D. 28 March 2020, 18:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Greetings,

Line-in on your ZP100 allows you to connect any device that has an audio output. In order to see this option, you would need to plug a device (such as a smartphone, tablet, turntable, etc.) into the back of the Line-In port. You will also want to configure "Auto-Play" setting and then you will be good to go.

That isn’t an answer….

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

It actually is the answer to the question you gave.

When you have the ZP100 connected to your sonos network.   Go into the settings….devices… pick your ZP100.

Go in the settings as described and set it to Autoplay and set itself as the device that it autoplays to.

Now you can do whatever - you can disconnect it from your sonos system, wifi, everything.   Whatever is input into the input ports of the ZP100 will then play from the ZP100 as if it were a stand alone amplifier.

No, I haven’t seen a video explaining how to do this.

Note: You are assuming that only the network function is broken. If this is the case you have about five minutes to configure the ZP100 as Sebastien D suggests.

If you are successful configuring the ZP100 as a basic amplifier, I suggest that you then disconnect it from the network because the defective ZP100 might disrupt your network.

It is possible that this defective unit might cause wireless trouble. If this is the case, the issue will be difficult to deal with. -- especially because you only have about five minutes to configure options.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I have a ZP100 in the same room as a ZP80.  The ZP100 is always dropping out of the network but the ZP80 remains.

Prompted by this thread I thought I’d set up the autoplay line-in function which I have on several other ZP units.  My controller software doesn’t show the line-in tab like it does for the other ZP units so I connected a Walkman to the RCA connectors to see if a voltage was required to convince it there was indeed a line-in source.  Still nothing.

I’ve also added a spare Bridge to the room to further boost the signal so now have 5 devices within a 5 metre radius.

So it’s not as easy as picking the right line-in source if the tab isn’t there (for that device).  I was considering this ZP100 as a candidate for the trade-up scheme to rejig my current systems (8.4 and 11) for June’s change to S2.