Answered

New input to connect amp

• 2 November 2017
  • 7 replies

Badge
Hi all,

I currently have a DAB radio connected to a connect amp via line in. The connect amp is grouped with a couple of other speakers / connect amps so when the DAB radio is turned on it is played in all zones.

I was looking at upgrading my current DAB radio to the below

http://www.eu.onkyo.com/en/products/cr-n775d-146574.html?tab=Stage

What would be the setup I need to connect this input so it works in the same way as my current setup? I note this has a built in amplifier so I presume the speakers would need to connect to this unit? Do I therefore need a sonos connect? And if so what would the connections need to be? I was planning to get another connect amp for a new zone but if I could get a connect instead and use my current connect amp elsewhere it I would be cheaper. Is it possible to use a connect amp with this new input?

I'm currently re-wiring my house and hoping to put the connect or connect amp some distance from the speakers/input unit. But can't seem to find any guidance on the setup for something like this.

Thanks a lot, appreciate any help
icon

Best answer by Worf 8 November 2017, 19:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

With this unit you are paying for capability you have already and on top, making things complex. Isn't there a drop in replacement for just the radio if that isn't working?

New zones can be easier addressed by play units that would seamless integrate with what you have in place.
What would be the setup I need to connect this input so it works in the same way as my current setup? I note this has a built in amplifier so I presume the speakers would need to connect to this unit? Do I therefore need a sonos connect? And if so what would the connections need to be?

Yes, you would connect speakers directly to this unit, and then connect the line out on the unit to to a Connect to stream to other zones.
Badge
Thanks for the replies. I note that this unit doesn't have a line out (as far as I can tell). In this instance, I presume a connect unit would connect to the line in - and allow streaming from the sonos app to the unit. But would this preclude sending the output of the unit (i.e. CD or radio) to other sonos zones? Or is this still possible? If I used the headphone socket to achieve this is a unit of this type still likely to play out of the attached speakers?

Thanks
According to the data sheet it has a line out.
Badge
Oh thanks. That's clear. Sorry, I was looking at the youtube video below which has a digital in in that position. But it looks like the video is mis-titled when compared to the unit name. Looks like models have line out and other very similar ones don't. Thanks for the steer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6HjpvqSE0Y

To clarify the set up...line out of this unit to the sonos connect, speakers connected to the unit. Line out on the connect to line in on the unit? In this set up, turning the unit on will automatically play on all grouped zones. Presumably this means to play sonos straight from the app I'd have to select the aux source or something (unelss it changes automatically which I guess is likely.)
Well, if you want to listen to DAB radio in other zones, you need to connect the line out of the Onkyo to the line in of the Connect.

If you want to stream music on your Sonos network to the Onkyo, you would connect the line out of the Connect to the line in on the Onkyo.

You could do both, but you would have to be very careful not to set up a feedback loop.
Badge
Thanks all