Answered

Mac Logic X-Sonos-Line In

• 8 November 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge
I have a midi controller set up with Logic X. I'd like to run the sound currently being output on the Mac's speakers to a Line In on the Sonos system so I could hear it with the Sonos speakers. How do you make that happen? Thanks
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 8 November 2017, 19:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

You'd need either a PLAY:5 with a line in, or one of the CONNECT/CONNECT:AMP devices, which also have a line in. The PLAY:5's is 3.5mm headphone jack style, the CONNECT's are RCA style.
Badge
Connecting from the Mac's headphone out to the PLAY:5's 3.5mm line in works. Thanks
Hi all -

Follow up here - I'm running Logic X, and want to run it through my Sonos speakers, via a Sonos Connect. I'm thinking of sending the logic out to my Apple TV, plugged in to the Sonos connect, and then wirelessly to other Sonos Play 1's.

Do you think this would work?

Thanks!
Sure. Sonos doesn't care where the analog input comes from. As long as it is a stereo signal, then the CONNECT should be able to take the analog output just fine.

The real question is, how do you get an analog output out of an Apple TV? Specifically, the CONNECT is looking for analog through an RCA input. None of my Apple TVs have an analog output. I suppose I could send it to my Apple TV, which is connected via HDMI to my TV set, and then take an analog output from the TV set to the CONNECT....

And don't forget the slight delay on the input on the CONNECT, as it processes the data to move from Analog to Digital, and then to buffer it so it can be played across the Sonos network in complete sync.
To be honest, I'd be connecting a cable from my headphone jack on the Mac to the CONNECT to do this, without going through the Apple TV. Would require a 3.5mm stereo jack to RCA jack cable, but it would be infinitely (ok, exaggeration there, but a lot) easier.