Answered

How many inline Sonos Outdoor speakers can connect to a Sonos 250 Amp

• 23 December 2020
  • 5 replies

Currently have an internal Mesh Network with over 13 Amazon Echos or various models connected.  I have found it frustrating to keep them going as a group Often stopping mid song or after a song, and I have to repeat the request to keep playing. 

I currently own Sonos ARC, Sub, and two Play one rear channel speakers.    So I was thinking of expanding this solution for the rest of the house.  

Two questions

1. If I extend this to include another 4 more Sonos one’s, do folks have any experience of a larger group like this doing well on a Mesh network (Not stopping constantly)?  Trying to see if I should invest and dump the Amazon speaker solution
  2. How Many Outdoor Sonos speakers can one connect to the Sonos Amp?   I am consider connecting four of them.  Can they all be connected to the same wire in series from one Sonos 250watt amp or do I need to limit it to one pair of leads per speaker and I need two Sonos amps (4 leads) to drive four Sonos speakers?
icon

Best answer by jgatie 24 December 2020, 15:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

1.  Mesh networks work best if you connect one Sonos device to the main router hub via Ethernet.  If you have no need for a speaker at that location, you can use the less expensive Sonos Boost for the wired component.
  2. If you mean these - https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/outdoor-speaker-pair.html - you can connect up to three pairs.  Note, wiring them can be tricky, you should use stacking banana plugs, like these - https://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-Carbonate-Insulated-Thumbscrew/dp/B00O3NTB28/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=stacking+banana+plugs&qid=1608821790&sr=8-5

Fantastic Answers.  Thank you. 

I can connect to the main router with a Sonos Speaker, thank you for the option!!  

I understand from your response ANY SONOS speaker just needs to be connected to the main Mesh Router.    Do you know how much square footage can be covered with the SONOS STP protocol?  Meaning if I my first floor is 3000sqft internally and I have a large outdoor patio, will all these speakers “mesh” together fine or do they all need to be able to com munition with the Ethernet connected speaker?

Is there a diagram that shows how to use the stacking banana plugs and implement the three paired solution?   I will be getting these speakers for the outdoor patio and would really be happy to see a solution for this.   Basically I am looking at 2 Pairs of speakers running the full length of the back of the house.    So trying to figure out if I need to run eight wires (one pair or wire to each speaker from 2 amps - costly and a lot of wire) or if I can get away with a simpler solution (one pair of wires) using one amp.     This solution does not need to rock the house.   Simple evening outdoor music if all I am looking for. 

In Sonosnet (aka Wired Setup) mode, the speakers act as a mesh.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3235?language=en_US

For those plugs, the speaker cable goes into the angled part, and the first one goes into the terminals on the Amp.  The next two sets go into the red/black area of the plug before it.  

Here’s a picture of them used with traditional plugs as the second stack, but there’s no reason you cannot stack three of the angled ones.

This was all great info, and thank you for the picture!!

Yes it worked perfectly.  I also went with 12 gauge wire and everything sounds incredible.

I will be installing two more speakers which is why the top ends are empty currently.